Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I am thinking of whether I should take the barbri class or do barbri self-study  (Read 6396 times)

claire22903

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm planning to take the NY bar in July, but I'm currently residing outside of NY.  Also barbri doesn't offer NY bar classes here.  So I'm stuck with getting the barbri ipods here and study on my own, or move to near by state where I could attend barbri lectures.  Is there anyone who used the barbri ipod studied on his or her own?  how was it?  Was it painful as I think it will be?  Does the package include a schedule on what you need to study per day?  i.e., is there some mechanism or schedule for you to be on task?

Also I was thinking since my law school has its own state barbri lecture during the summer, do you think I should attend the lecture for MBE portion (MBE portion is the same across the states?) and study for NY section on my own?  I really don't want to move because of absence of NY barbri class, but if this self-study is not a good idea, it seems I may have to move. 
Accepted:  U of Colorado, Pace, Hofstra, U of Miami, Pace, NYLS

WL:  U of Minnesota, U of Maryland, Brooklyn

Rejected:  Cardozo, GW, Georgetown, Columbia, Cornell

Need to hear from:  Wake, NYU, UNC

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
If you are a disciplined person, then self study should be okay. I did barbri and pmbr, but they are not magic wands.  What ensured my passing score was my structured review on my own.  Just taking the classes is not enough.  If you are willing to put in 8-10 hours/day in the 2 months before the exam, and 12-14 hours a day during the 2 weeks before the exam, and you have the discipline to create a schedule for yourself and stick to it, then go for it.  If not, get yourself into barbri and pmbr ASAP.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I agree with smujd. A lot of what you get from bar study depends on your level of discipline. If you do BarBri (regardless of the format) they will give you a study schedule. Whether you're attending live lectures or doing self-study, you still need to go to classes, review materials, practice the essays, etc. You need to use the time after BarBri/prior to bar to continue to work on the materials.

I also did a separate PMBR for the MBE subjects. I think partially due to this, my MBE was stronger than my essays. If your school has good MBE lectures, then you can probably skip the PMBR, although you can always look at getting a set of the books for practice. Overall, I thought PMBR was better for MBE than BarBri.

If NY essays include MBE subjects, then the MBE study will also help you learn rules required for those essays. (I'm not sure what NY tests of MBE subjects.)

fliingdutchmn

• Sr. Citizen
  • You're a dirty bugger aren't you?
    • View Profile
I'm planning to take the NY bar in July, but I'm currently residing outside of NY.  Also barbri doesn't offer NY bar classes here.  So I'm stuck with getting the barbri ipods here and study on my own, or move to near by state where I could attend barbri lectures.  Is there anyone who used the barbri ipod studied on his or her own?  how was it?  Was it painful as I think it will be?  Does the package include a schedule on what you need to study per day?  i.e., is there some mechanism or schedule for you to be on task?

Also I was thinking since my law school has its own state barbri lecture during the summer, do you think I should attend the lecture for MBE portion (MBE portion is the same across the states?) and study for NY section on my own?  I really don't want to move because of absence of NY barbri class, but if this self-study is not a good idea, it seems I may have to move. 

this is the same thing that I'm considering doing. I'm taking the NY bar, but will move back home to FL to live rent free for the duration of my studies.

Was considering doing one of these other Self-Study courses and am having the damnedest time finding any reviews.

If anyone here has some comments about these self-study programs, things they've heard from others, please reply! Utter hearsay and baseless conjecture welcome!!

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
One of my co workers did micromash rather than barbri and it worked for her. She passed the first time. 

As I said before,  I think if you are a disciplined person, you can get through it.  But if you have the tendency to procrastinate and/or don't have the discipline to pace yourself, then make sure you get it done.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!