Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T2 to WashU  (Read 1292 times)

lrb2010

• View Profile
T2 to WashU
« on: March 20, 2008, 02:10:32 PM »
I'm currently at student at T2 school (ranked in the 60s). I finished up my last semester with a 3.5, ranked in top 17%, got a CALI award. LSAT 161, UGPA 3.909 (summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa). Anyone have any idea about what my prospects at WashU might be?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: T2 to WashU
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 02:46:33 PM »
I'm currently at student at T2 school (ranked in the 60s). I finished up my last semester with a 3.5, ranked in top 17%, got a CALI award. LSAT 161, UGPA 3.909 (summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa). Anyone have any idea about what my prospects at WashU might be?

Did you apply to Boalt when you initially applied to law schools?  There was a chance that you would have gotten in. 

hedrick1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 03:20:16 PM »

Looking at the database, you have a decent shot. It seemed like they were harder than usual in accepting transfers last year, probably because they got so many applications. You might want to apply EA to improve your chances.

lrb2010

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 09:56:51 PM »
I didn't apply to Boalt, no. The highest-ranked school I applied to was Illinois. Thanks for the info -- I feel a little more encouraged about things than I did before.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 01:11:09 PM »
I didn't apply to Boalt, no. The highest-ranked school I applied to was Illinois. Thanks for the info -- I feel a little more encouraged about things than I did before.

You do know that someone who post her regularly got into Boalt with 3.9 and 157, right?  Boalt loves high GPAs.

I think you have a good chance of getting into Wash. Unv., but definately also apply to Boalt as they take a large number of transfers as well as UCLA, if you don't mind attending a law school in CA.  It wouldn't hurt sending apps to Georgetown as well as UT. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 03:54:56 PM »
there was no chance at boalt initially.  even as a URM, if OP is a URM, he would have struggled to get in and probably still wouldnt have.

Although, OP had a decent shot at WashU originally, or at least at a comparable school, so I definitely would apply to transfer. 

hedrick1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 09:15:08 PM »
With an LSAT score 5 points below their median, I think OP would have had a tough time getting into WUSTL or Cal as a 1L.

Looking at the database from last year, transferring to Cal or UCLA will be very tough for OP. It seems that when coming from a T2, one needs to be around top 5-10% to have a decent shot at these two.  Part of it has to with there being so many law schools in Cali which creates lots of students seeking to transfer up in-state.

lrb2010

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 01:23:17 PM »
Hmm. Not so much interested in California schools -- my focus would be more Midwest/Southeast. My top transfer choice is WUSTL, but based on my information, do you all have any other suggestions about where I might want to look?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 02:17:12 PM »
Hmm. Not so much interested in California schools -- my focus would be more Midwest/Southeast. My top transfer choice is WUSTL, but based on my information, do you all have any other suggestions about where I might want to look?

GW is very transfer friendly and your grades would have gotten you in initially without a problem.  Id check it out.  The degree is pretty transferable, so you could go back to the midwest if you desired to.