Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Finnegan Henderson, Fish and Richardson how difficult to get a job at either?  (Read 4922 times)

muchalucha

• View Profile

Finnegan Henderson, Fish and Richardson how difficult to get a job at either?

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
depends upon where you go to school [assuming that you have the requisite IP credentials]

yale? cake walk

cooley? i'd bet my money on my 3 year old niece obtaining employment at either before i would bet it on you (no offense, of course haha)

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Also depends on your level of IP credentials, if you happen to have THE background they are looking for, they may be a bit more lenient if something is a bit lacking, such as the ranking of your school.  This would probably be a rare type of background such as EE, ChemE or a PhD in biotech/chem, wherever they have significant openings. Law school grades are also obviously a very significant factor.

muchalucha

• View Profile
how about if you don't have a jd yet, but you have a strong technical background?  say a master's in physics or chemical engineering from a top 20 program?

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
um are you in law school? do you understand how the summer associate thing works?

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
If you aren't in law school, you can only get a tech adviser or patent agent position (if you passed the patent bar). As mentioned, same with before it is going to matter what area they are looking for. Also, they may not necessarily be looking for a patent agent/tech adviser, some firms don't use many of them. Your undergrad grades will also obviously matter. A large majority of people in IP choose to go to law school though to increase their earning potential, the only real good reason I have seen not to is because of family constraints.

muchalucha

• View Profile
i'm not in law school yet, but i will be going part time very soon. my ugrad grades are ok (3.5+) but i wasn't phi beta kappa or anything.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Do you have a tech background?  I.E. Engineering degree?  What do you do for work now?  Where are you going to law school?

muchalucha

• View Profile
yep.  i have a bs in physics (from a top 5 public, if it even matters) and a master's in chemical engineering (from a top 20 program, again if it even matters).  gpa in both is 3.5+.  i'm currently a patent agent at a lacklustre law firm in a big market.  the firm is not known for IP, but we do have some pretty big clients in terms of prosecution.  I don't want to get specific about law school for privacy reasons, though I know that's like the most important aspect of my background. I will say that my school in the US News top 25. 

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
yep.  i have a bs in physics (from a top 5 public, if it even matters) and a master's in chemical engineering (from a top 20 program, again if it even matters).  gpa in both is 3.5+.  i'm currently a patent agent at a lacklustre law firm in a big market.  the firm is not known for IP, but we do have some pretty big clients in terms of prosecution.  I don't want to get specific about law school for privacy reasons, though I know that's like the most important aspect of my background. I will say that my school in the US News top 25. 

Privacy reasons?  Dude you are retarded. I say flame.