Law School Discussion

Writing Sample length

Writing Sample length
« on: March 18, 2008, 07:24:52 PM »
I know the conventional wisdom is to use an approximately ten page writing sample.  I'm looking at a position in which I have a writing sample that is directly on point but is 17 pages double-spaced.  There is not really a sensible way to cut out any of the piece.

Should I (1) cut out some of the sample in a way that may not be desirable (2) convert it to single-spaced or (3) send it at 17 pages and they will just stop reading when they are finished?

Is this ten page rule a hard and fast one?

smujd2007

• January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Sample length
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 04:28:18 PM »
I would stick to the ten page rule.  Ask your career services office, though, if you think they might be the least bit helpful.  Though, I can't imagine how something 17 pages long doesn't have a natural breaking point to cut it down to 10 for a writing sample.  If you want an outsider to look at it and see if there's a place to break, PM me.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 05:30:44 PM »
Definitely under ten pages, unless they say otherwise.  If keeping it under ten pages is a problem, I've heard that getting rid of the Statement of Facts is the best place to start.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 05:55:40 PM »
Its not a brief

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 02:15:01 PM »
Sorry, but does the ten pages include table of contents and table of authorities?  Or just leave that stuff out anyway and only send them ten pages of real writing?

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 03:15:47 PM »
Don't send the extra stuff.  They know that you have the full sample available if they'd like to look at it.