Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Writing Sample length  (Read 2234 times)

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Writing Sample length
« on: March 18, 2008, 09:24:52 PM »
I know the conventional wisdom is to use an approximately ten page writing sample.  I'm looking at a position in which I have a writing sample that is directly on point but is 17 pages double-spaced.  There is not really a sensible way to cut out any of the piece.

Should I (1) cut out some of the sample in a way that may not be desirable (2) convert it to single-spaced or (3) send it at 17 pages and they will just stop reading when they are finished?

Is this ten page rule a hard and fast one?

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Sample length
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 06:28:18 PM »
I would stick to the ten page rule.  Ask your career services office, though, if you think they might be the least bit helpful.  Though, I can't imagine how something 17 pages long doesn't have a natural breaking point to cut it down to 10 for a writing sample.  If you want an outsider to look at it and see if there's a place to break, PM me.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

POTUS20

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 07:30:44 PM »
Definitely under ten pages, unless they say otherwise.  If keeping it under ten pages is a problem, I've heard that getting rid of the Statement of Facts is the best place to start.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 07:55:40 PM »
Its not a brief

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 04:15:01 PM »
Sorry, but does the ten pages include table of contents and table of authorities?  Or just leave that stuff out anyway and only send them ten pages of real writing?
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 05:15:47 PM »
Don't send the extra stuff.  They know that you have the full sample available if they'd like to look at it.