Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pronunciation of Legal Terms  (Read 1583 times)

DixonDA

• View Profile
Pronunciation of Legal Terms
« on: March 18, 2008, 06:44:05 PM »
A potentially embarrassing thing that a law student could experience would be to mispronounce a legal term while standing and giving an IRAC of the previous night's reading, and consequently have to endure the ire of one's professor. Example: the word "gravamen."

"The gravamen of the case is . . ."

How many of you have heard it pronounced by fellow students this way, "The GRAV a men of the case is . . ."?

The actual pronunciation is this: "The grah VAY men of the case is."

By the way, "gravamen" is "the ground of a legal action; the essential element of a lawsuit."

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
Re: Pronunciation of Legal Terms
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 07:39:31 PM »
Another reason to use plain English, instead of legalese that most students can't actually say or define properly.

redjay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
Agreed, I've never heard a teacher scold a student for not using a complex legal term, however I have seen students get embarassed when they pronounce a legal term completely incorrect and the professor has to correct them.

DixonDA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 11:32:33 PM »
To be quite honest, this came up in my first year first semester Contracts class, and the professor asked the student, "What is the GRAH va men of the case."

The student began, "The gra VAY men of the case is . . ." at which point the prof interrupted him and said, Mr. _____, what is the GRAH va men of the case."

The student replied, "The gra VAY men of the . . . "

"Mr. _______, what is the GRAH va men of the case, and I'd appreciate it if you'd pronounce the word correctly."

"Sir, he replied, I've checked the word and there is no other pronunciation, but the GRAH va men of the case is . . ." and he continued with his analysis.

Three weeks later the professor publicly apologized and commended the student for holding his ground for as long as he could. True story. I saw/heard the interaction personally.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 11:52:39 PM »
I hate libel cause I cant pronounce that word.

sounds like that professor is a pretentious prick.  None of my professors, or classmates, has ever used that word, nor have I ever heard of it.  The only prof I have that uses anything remotely legal is a visiting professor from a tier 3 or tier 4 or something out in the middle of no where.  None of my classmates will get pretentious enough to start talking like that, thank god.