Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GSU v. Emory  (Read 1972 times)

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GSU v. Emory
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 04:27:03 PM »
AtlAggie,

How difficult is it to make law review at GSU?  Top 15%?  Any suggestions?  I am sarting there in the fall and any advice is greatly appreciated. 

So, basically, when you posted this thread, you have already made your decision to go to GSU already, but you were just looking for affirmation.  Either than, or Emory was never a choice.  Am I correct?

galactic

• View Profile
    • letters
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 06:31:20 PM »
Sorry to piggy back on another thread, but while we're talking about Emory.
How would you decide on a small scholarship package (15k per year) at Vanderbilt and one twice as big at Emory (+30k)?
I'm sure that both have great job placement, but are there any big advantages for graduating from either, at least for an individual interested in a federal clerkship, and a degree with national mobility?

And yes, I do know that Atlanta is a fun town, I've lived there for 3 years.

vaplaugh

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 07:45:58 PM »
Sorry to piggy back on another thread, but while we're talking about Emory.
How would you decide on a small scholarship package (15k per year) at Vanderbilt and one twice as big at Emory (+30k)?
I'm sure that both have great job placement, but are there any big advantages for graduating from either, at least for an individual interested in a federal clerkship, and a degree with national mobility?

And yes, I do know that Atlanta is a fun town, I've lived there for 3 years.

The career services office at each school will likely have a list of where recent graduates clerked.  I suggest contacting each school and requesting these lists, adjusting the numbers for class size, and seeing if there is a material difference that is worth the extra tuition cost. 

Without looking at the list of clerks, and assuming pre-scholarship tuition at Vandy and Emory are the same, I would guess Vandy is probably worth $45K more than Emory.

AtlAggie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 01:03:18 AM »
AtlAggie,

How difficult is it to make law review at GSU?  Top 15%?  Any suggestions?  I am sarting there in the fall and any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Historically at GSU, if you make it into the top 50% of the class (the current cut off for consideration for LR membership) and can manage to actually finish the write-on competition, then you have a very decent shot of making it on LR. This is because historically not many students actually manage to finish the competition. This could change, of course (more people could participate in the competition) but at least in the past 2 years the number of entries has been relatively low.

Of course, if you manage to do REALLY well your 1L year, you can possibly grade on w/out going through the write-on, but no one should count on being one of the top students in the class when choosing where to go to law school.

Hope that helps. If it eases your mind at all, I'm very happy with my choice to attend GSU. You just have to go into it realizing what you're signing up for (not everyone does).

mgkoefod

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 10:09:21 AM »

You just have to go into it realizing what you're signing up for (not everyone does).
[/quote]

whats that?

mgkoefod

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 10:09:59 AM »
Oh and AtlAggie...thank you for the advice/info....it is appreciated.

AtlAggie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 04:18:12 PM »

You just have to go into it realizing what you're signing up for (not everyone does).

whats that?
[/quote]

Mainly just what has been discussed in this thread. That if your one and only end goal in going to law school is Biglaw, that it's a significantly harder path to get on coming out of GSU than it is out of Emory, or even UGA.

Oh, and you're welcome  :)