Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GSU v. Emory  (Read 1960 times)

mgkoefod

• View Profile
GSU v. Emory
« on: March 18, 2008, 10:56:34 AM »
GSU with $0 debt or Emory w/ $120k debt?

Interested in BigLaw in Atlanta.

trinity2782

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: GSU v. Emory
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 12:36:22 PM »
Based on my experience [as a 2L at Emory who will be working BigLaw this summer in ATL and knowing people at GSU law], the top 1/3 to top 1/2 have a good shot at getting an ATL BigLaw spot coming from Emory. Whereas the top 10% - 20% have a good shot at BigLaw coming out of GSU. I like the odds better coming out of Emory even though youll have debt. If you can be sure that youll be in the top of the class,go to GSU [all the current students reading this should be chuckling to themselves b/c as we all know, predicting where youll fall in the class rankings is nearly impossible.] If you have a unique background or something that sets you apart from your classmates [by this I dont mean that you are different than your classmates b/c you spent a summer building mud huts for displaced hamsters, I mean something that equals larger dollar signs for the firm [i.e. and extensive finance background or an engineering degree so you can do patent work]], then those class rank limits may be expanded. Looking at the composition of my summer class of approx 25 SAs, 5 are from Emory and 0 are from GSU. This doesnt necessarily mean that they didnt give any GSU students offers, it just may give you an indication of how many offers were given out to each school. Hope this helps and pm me if you have any specific questions.
Emory Law Class of '09

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 12:49:38 PM »
Or you can go to Emory and graduate in the middle or bottom of your class with 120K of debt.  Either way, base it on what you want.  If you want prestige and the shot at BIGLAW, go to Emory.  But be ready for the disappointment if you don't get what you want and have a plan to get rid of the massive debt.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 01:05:04 PM »
I agree.  If you are positive you want BIGLAW, go to Emory.  Otherwise, GSU has a great rep in Atlanta and costs very little compared to Emory.  Trust me, looking at my loan payments as a 3L, I strongly recommend saving some money whenever it is possible.

Good luck to you.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 02:04:11 PM »

Is it really 0 debt at GSU and $120K debt at Emory? When you guys talk abou "debt," do you only mean "tuition debt" or the general meaning of "debt." 

At GSU, even if you got full scholarship that will cover your three years worth of tuition, you still need to eat, have a roof over you head, etc, don't you? Let's calculate:

Rent:  3 years X 12 months X $650 per month = $23,400.
Food:  3 years X 12 months X 30 days a month X 15 dollars a day ($6 lunch, $7 dinner, $3 break fast) = $16,200
Books: 6 semesters X $600 = 3,600.
Tansportation: This depends if you own your car or still making payments, but it will be inlcuded in your total debt, just like food and rent, doesn't it?   Let's say, 3 years X 12 months X $350 payment (let's be conservative and let the $300 include gas and insurance, etc.) = $12,600

The above total figure, WITHOUT paying a dime in tuition come to a total of $52,200 and keep in mind that it DOES NOT include entertainment (bars, movies, going out, etc.), clothing (don't we all need new suits, new pairs of shoes, jeans, etc. in those three years, Barbri course that costs thousands, health insurance, etc. all add up to maybe another $20,000 - $30,000). 

So, in other words, you will have $70K to 80K debt even if you don't have to pay a dime in tuition.  Is my calculation totally off? 

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 02:06:23 PM »
Your calculation is right, but cost of living shouldn't be considered when comparing two schools in the same city.  Whichever the OP chooses, his cost of living will be the same.

Is it really 0 debt at GSU and $120K debt at Emory? When you guys talk abou "debt," do you only mean "tuition debt" or the general meaning of "debt." 

At GSU, even if you got full scholarship that will cover your three years worth of tuition, you still need to eat, have a roof over you head, etc, don't you? Let's calculate:

Rent:  3 years X 12 months X $650 per month = $23,400.
Food:  3 years X 12 months X 30 days a month X 15 dollars a day ($6 lunch, $7 dinner, $3 break fast) = $16,200Books: 6 semesters X $600 = 3,600.
Tansportation: This depends if you own your car or still making payments, but it will be inlcuded in your total debt, just like food and rent, doesn't it?   Let's say, 3 years X 12 months X $350 payment (let's be conservative and let the $300 include gas and insurance, etc.) = $12,600

The above total figure, WITHOUT paying a dime in tuition come to a total of $52,200 and keep in mind that it DOES NOT include entertainment (bars, movies, going out, etc.), clothing (don't we all need new suits, new pairs of shoes, jeans, etc. in those three years, Barbri course that costs thousands, health insurance, etc. all add up to maybe another $20,000 - $30,000). 

So, in other words, you will have $70K to 80K debt even if you don't have to pay a dime in tuition.  Is my calculation totally off? 

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 02:12:17 PM »
Quote from: xferlawstudent
Your calculation is right, but cost of living shouldn't be considered when comparing two schools in the same city.  Whichever the OP chooses, his cost of living will be the same.

I see people in here talk about their (future) debt all the time and how they are going to pay for it, but they usually refer to the tuition amount only and forget that it will cost them another 70-80K in addition to the six figures or so tuition debt that they may have. 

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 02:19:32 PM »
I'd say more like $60k, but you make a good point that it should be considered.  However, when comparing GSU and Emory the cost of living will be the same; the schools are less than 10 miles apart.

vaplaugh

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 02:32:42 PM »
Quote from: xferlawstudent

I see people in here talk about their (future) debt all the time and how they are going to pay for it, but they usually refer to the tuition amount only and forget that it will cost them another 70-80K in addition to the six figures or so tuition debt that they may have. 

I think those numbers can be pared down a bit if you live with a roommate and spend less on food.  $450/month for food seems high to me.  Even taking into account random splurges, I spend about half that.  But, I eat a lot of frozen dinners and pasta.  I live in GA and spend about $1,200-$1,300 a month (probably about $45K over three years).

Regardless, some people going to law school still get money from parents/relatives, live at home, have a generous significant other, work throughout 2L and/or 3L year(s), and/or have worked and saved up a small nest egg.

vaplaugh

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 02:50:26 PM »
I'd say more like $60k, but you make a good point that it should be considered.  However, when comparing GSU and Emory the cost of living will be the same; the schools are less than 10 miles apart.

I think this is not really an important difference... but the ratio of total debt from both schools might be a better factor than just thinking about tuition differences.  The difference between $0 and $40K is significant, but the difference between $60K and $100K is less significant.  That is, the person considering a full ride has to still consider total debt when looking at job prospects from two schools.