Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Curve? What does that end up meaning?  (Read 4515 times)

NATUREBOY

• View Profile
Re: Curve? What does that end up meaning?
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2008, 01:40:45 AM »
Yes, in your happy little dream world, on AVERAGE, the T3 and T4 grads will do as well or better than the Top 25 grads...... That's not reality though.  Sure, there are EXCEPTIONS, but they are just that.....

In my happy little dream world there are unicorns and people can ride them and they give you free icecream.
I'm pretty realistic about the fact that people from better schools have better odds at better jobs, and I don't think I've ever said otherwise.

I am just curious to see how it plays out in ten years.  I am curious whether the "oh wait we're just as good" group faces a harsh reality, or if the "oh no, I am so much better because of my school" crowd finds out that it doesn't make as much of a difference as they thought.

I'm interested in public interest law and government work, so all the bickering about the top of the food chain is really abstract for me.
There are 2 types of lawyers.  Keanu Reeves from Devil's Advocate and Rudy Baylor from the Rainmaker.  90% of law students are going to end up being Rudy Baylor.  I have several friends that graduated from very highly-ranked schools (T25 or better) that are making less than $50k/year.  All of them had summer associate gigs and thought they were superior to everybody else when in law school.  People overestimate how much a school's ranking helps.  All it does is give you better odds.  Wanna be Keanu Reeves?  Here's your odds: T1 (20-30%), T2 (15-20%), T3 (10%), T4 (5%).  The rest of us are all in the same boat and if you disagree, PM me in 10 years.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2008, 07:35:47 AM »
This is flat out ridiculous.  Even though most big firm associates won't go on to partner, their exit options will be far superior to your average joe schmoe lawyer down the street, not to mention the 5-10 years of high income will open more doors.

Keep living in that fantasy world.....

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2008, 11:04:18 AM »
This is flat out ridiculous.  Even though most big firm associates won't go on to partner, their exit options will be far superior to your average joe schmoe lawyer down the street, not to mention the 5-10 years of high income will open more doors.

Keep living in that fantasy world.....

although... this is my point about not all biglaw being equal. If you look at the partners at the lower ranked firms, a lot of them had been associates at higher ranked firms. That creates problems for the associates at those lower firms.

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2008, 02:01:27 PM »
booo... you had to add the sic in, lol, now i feel obligated to go back and change my original statement and make it correct. 

Sorry.
You are under no obligation to change anything.  I wasn't trying to call you out.  It's a bad habit.
:-)

Peace
Justice is tangy....