Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Curve? What does that end up meaning?  (Read 4528 times)

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Curve? What does that end up meaning?
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 11:49:43 AM »
haha my bad, i meant peasants and no, no chip here, just trying to appease the great and almighty 2Lman

oh and yes, i do understand the "loan" thing and im not afraid to go into debt, however, when the money i was able to take out wouldnt give me enough to live on (for some reason the "higher up schools" seem to give less leeway when it comes to cost of living, and trust me, i have a low, low cost of living"

anyways,
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 07:43:54 PM »
Yeah, give me a break on the being poor routine.... Also, what does my telling it how it is about lower ranked law schools have to do with ethics?  Typical... Someone points out the truth about the profession, says something you don't want to hear, and you get all defensive and fired up.....

Plenty of us have overcome tough situations to get what we want so don't preach to me about how you couldn't afford a top law school. 

Also, news flash, "top 100" isn't something prestigious dude.  Yay for you, you got accepted by two mediocre law schools.

DuckHuntinLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 11:07:57 PM »
Yeah, give me a break on the being poor routine.... Also, what does my telling it how it is about lower ranked law schools have to do with ethics?  Typical... Someone points out the truth about the profession, says something you don't want to hear, and you get all defensive and fired up.....

Plenty of us have overcome tough situations to get what we want so don't preach to me about how you couldn't afford a top law school. 

Also, news flash, "top 100" isn't something prestigious dude.  Yay for you, you got accepted by two mediocre law schools.

What makes you qualified to speak on "the truth about the profession?"

How'd you get such a negative attitude? Lose a job to a T3/T4 student?

BTW, how'd your reputation get so low?

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 11:27:59 PM »
LoL, lose a job to a T3 or T4?  No, sorry, though I imagine that would make you feel better.  To be honest, I don't know of any Tier 3 or 4 students that have been recruited by the law firm I am summering at for some time.

What makes me qualified is a) I'm not a law student that has never worked, I have a career and see the realities of the profession every day and b) the statistics speak for themselves on T3 and T4 students making it to big law.

DuckHuntinLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 12:45:44 AM »
LoL, lose a job to a T3 or T4?  No, sorry, though I imagine that would make you feel better.  To be honest, I don't know of any Tier 3 or 4 students that have been recruited by the law firm I am summering at for some time.

What makes me qualified is a) I'm not a law student that has never worked, I have a career and see the realities of the profession every day and b) the statistics speak for themselves on T3 and T4 students making it to big law.

Oh. So big law is the scale of professional success. Gotcha.

I have also learned something from my past work experience. Dickheads don't make it too far. And the ones that somehow make it into big law tend to get thrown into a pigeon hole where the professionals don't have to see, look, or work with them. Let me know if you need me to throw you a few crackers in there.

See you in court, bud.

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 12:55:02 AM »
you know, it's not about "being poor", it's about making prudent financial decisions.  Furthermore, your entire argument rests on the shoulders of ignorant "elitists" who end up getting disbarred because of their heads are stuck up their asses. 
On the other hand, i guarantee you are a flame and that you aren't even at a "top" law school.  So have fun pretending to be better than you are, it only lasts as long as your last post. 

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 01:10:51 AM »
Weren't you just the one who said it was about being poor?  Like just a few posts ago?  Going to a top law school is a prudent financial decision.  Going to a low-ranked T2 over a T3/T4?  That's debatable.  If you really got into a T25, and you choose to go to a T3/T4 based solely on "prudent financial decisions", I can 99% guarantee you that you made the wrong financial decision unless you wanna work government or public interest and even then...

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 11:55:57 AM »
you know, it's not about "being poor", it's about making prudent financial decisions.  Furthermore, your entire argument rests on the shoulders of ignorant "elitists" who end up getting disbarred because of their heads are stuck up their asses. 
On the other hand, i guarantee you are a flame and that you aren't even at a "top" law school.  So have fun pretending to be better than you are, it only lasts as long as your last post. 

Dude, search around, I've been on here for quite some time.  I go to GW, I don't need to hide where I attend.  Elitism is part of the profession.  I'm not saying that it is right that big law firms recruit only from top schools for the most part, I'm simply stating that it is the way it is, and the way it will be for years to come.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 11:57:47 AM »

Oh. So big law is the scale of professional success. Gotcha.

I have also learned something from my past work experience. Dickheads don't make it too far. And the ones that somehow make it into big law tend to get thrown into a pigeon hole where the professionals don't have to see, look, or work with them. Let me know if you need me to throw you a few crackers in there.

See you in court, bud.

You will likely never see me in court as you will be too busy chasing ambulances.... Or out of the profession entirely.....  See, I can make fantasy generalizations as well.

I already have a good career and profession.  While it may make you feel better to pretend I'll end up in a ditch somewhere, the reality is that simply isn't the case.  Keep dreaming on being that 1 out of 100 at your school that actually makes six figures.....

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 12:45:52 PM »
ok let me elaborate on the "poor".  i said i was a poor kid from a trailer park- that's all i said abotu that, so yet, its not just about being "poor"- this was my decision- i rather have my entire law school paid for and come out with no debt than start 100+k in the hole.  I think thats a "prudent financial decision" by any means.  To say otherwise is simply ridiculous.  Sure, top 25 will probably have better chance to go "biglaw" but that didn't interest me in the first place.  And no, i do not believe being an "elitist" is part of the job description.  but that's just me.  there is nothing wrong with being humble and nothing wrong with T3 or T4 of even top 100 schools.  one of my best friends is at UVA (the school i was accepted to) but after hearing horror stories about how expensive it was and how it was full of ivy league assholes, i said @#!* it- i dont want to do big law anyways and im happy where i am to be quite truthful. And there were more reasons aside from purely financial that made my decision, but it was the ultimate one. 

and to peaches who thinks its all about being poor and what not-   i don't care if i make 50K a year for a few years before i crack the 100K mark, it will be a hell of a lot more than ive ever made before in my life.  Some of of "peasants" value things more than money, take for instance, people and quality of life.