Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: funding sources for unpaid summer?  (Read 4514 times)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: funding sources for unpaid summer?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 01:56:43 PM »
mine offers funding and credits but only for a limited number of jobs (government, public interest).  The equal justice foundation gives money too.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 04:08:18 PM »
These are great ideas. Thank you! Keep em coming, if you have any other ideas. I can do a split summer or PT with this internship, so getting a 2nd job is certainly a possibility, too.
Vanderbilt 2010

dsnutter

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 05:08:10 PM »
bartend at nights. you'll thank me later.

kulrythm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 02:22:10 PM »
I am pretty sure that www.myrichuncle.com offers private summer internship loans to law students.  That way you only need to take out enough to get you through the summer living frugally.  Better than paying summer school tuition and balancing class and your summer employment and then graduating off-cycle. 
I applied with myrichuncle.com for a summer internship loan, just to see how much it would cost.  The interest rate okay I guess, considering it's a private loan.  It's 4.9% + Current Index.  Then, in the Master Promissary Note, they say that there is an origination fee, but they won't tell me what it is until after I accept the loan and they give me the money.  So, obviously I'm not going to get a loan without knowing how much it costs right?  After waiting on hold for 45 mins., I finally was able to get them to tell me that the origination fee is 5% of the loan amount.  Doesn't that ssem a little high?  Is it weird that they were trying to hide the amount of this fee?  Now, I'm really doubting if they are the way to go.  Does anyone have suggestions for other private lenders? 

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 05:35:49 PM »
www.prosper.com ?  Didn't realize the origination fee on myrichuncle -- i imagine students borrowing above the school's recommended can be risky to lend to...

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 06:33:07 PM »
5% is a gigantic origination fee.

kulrythm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 08:55:31 PM »
5% is a gigantic origination fee.
Yeah... I thought so too.  If credit cards had deferral periods, I'd be better off doing that.  I'm not sure what the current index is, but I think it's around 2.5% or something.  So, 4.9 + 2.5 is 7.4%, plus 5% origination fee, means I'd be paying 12.4% for the first year.  That's f-ing rediculous. 

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 10:27:53 AM »
If your school is a member of Equal Justice Works and you meet the other eligibility criteria, you could apply to get a $1,000 voucher in the fall the offset your loans.  It won't help you pay your summer expenses, but that's a nice little chunk to earn through summer work to reduce your debt.

http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/programs/summercorps/general

Deadline is April 2!

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
If credit cards had deferral periods, I'd be better off doing that.  I'm not sure what the current index is, but I think it's around 2.5% or something.  So, 4.9 + 2.5 is 7.4%, plus 5% origination fee, means I'd be paying 12.4% for the first year.  That's f-ing rediculous.

A little risky, but you could get a 12-month 0% APR credit card.  You could pay a little of it off with student loans over the year and hope you get a $$$ firm job next summer.