Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: funding sources for unpaid summer?  (Read 4361 times)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
funding sources for unpaid summer?
« on: March 17, 2008, 08:26:52 PM »
I received an offer for an unpaid internship for the summer in DC. I'm self-supporting (no family) and paying out of state tuition at my school in FL. Any recommendations on places to look for summer funding? I will probably take some kind of PT paid job, but if there are any stipends or grants out there whose deadlines haven't popped up yet, I'd appreciate any suggestions! I'm a female non-minority student in FL. My school isn't cooperative about creating your own externship programs, either.

Thanks!
Vanderbilt 2010

FreddyPharkas

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: funding sources for unpaid summer?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:33:51 PM »
I received an offer for an unpaid internship for the summer in DC. I'm self-supporting (no family) and paying out of state tuition at my school in FL. Any recommendations on places to look for summer funding? I will probably take some kind of PT paid job, but if there are any stipends or grants out there whose deadlines haven't popped up yet, I'd appreciate any suggestions! I'm a female non-minority student in FL. My school isn't cooperative about creating your own externship programs, either.

Thanks!

Just have your school pay. Mine pays like $20/hr for unpaid summer internships. It's a bit of a hassle though, you have to have your acceptance letter from the job and proof that it's unpaid, AND you have to log like 40 hours/week.

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 10:41:55 PM »

Thanks!

Just have your school pay. Mine pays like $20/hr for unpaid summer internships. It's a bit of a hassle though, you have to have your acceptance letter from the job and proof that it's unpaid, AND you have to log like 40 hours/week.

LOL.  Alright, buddy.  Whatever you say.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 11:00:12 PM »
mine is only around 10 an hour.  Id suggest doing the same though, look for school funding.  It is a pretty easy process, at least where I go.

NATUREBOY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 12:47:05 AM »

Thanks!
Just take a full load of summer school and graduate a semester early.

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 01:17:08 AM »
My school makes us PAY to do an externship (for the credits you earn)  :'(

I definitely am not taking that option, but my roommate is. Luckily I am an IP type so I can get a good paying clerking job and can set whatever hours I want.

I had never heard before that some schools would actually pay you to do unpaid work (though not much), is that option only available if you aren't doing it for school credit?

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 10:42:02 AM »
My school won't let you create an externship-- so I can't get money that way. The only externships they will pay for are on a list. The internship I have isn't on that list.

Also, I don't want to take summer school. As I said, I'm paying out of state tuition right now, and I become eligible for in-state in August. I'd really rather not take out 3x the money in loans that the instate students pay, just to fund my summer.... makes more sense to get a part time job waiting tables instead in the evenings.

Any other suggestions? Taking out money from school isn't a feasible or economical option. I have been looking at scholarships, etc., but it seems a lot of deadlines have passed.

Vanderbilt 2010

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 11:00:38 AM »
I am pretty sure that www.myrichuncle.com offers private summer internship loans to law students.  That way you only need to take out enough to get you through the summer living frugally.  Better than paying summer school tuition and balancing class and your summer employment and then graduating off-cycle. 

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 11:11:45 AM »
Is there a public interest student group on campus?  They may be able to point you to resources for grant money.  The organization you are planning to work for may have ideas too.

Do you think the organization might be open to work-study?  The organization would have to contribute (unless you find a grant that would pick up their portion), but it would be a lot less than fully funding the position.

Would the organization let you work a reduced schedule so you can have more time to work at a paying part-time job? 

Luigi rules

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 01:34:56 PM »
I know some people who don't get funding through the university go through equal justice america.  Have you tried them?

www.equaljusticeamerica.com