Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FSU or Miami... Please weigh in  (Read 516 times)

Oscar De Law Hoya

• View Profile
FSU or Miami... Please weigh in
« on: March 17, 2008, 02:47:10 PM »
FSU or Miami for practicing somewhere in FL.  Don't account for money.  Please let me know which option you like.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: FSU or Miami... Please weigh in
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 03:16:25 PM »
If you want to practice in Miami, definitely Miami.  Anywhere else in Florida, go to FSU.

grad12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 03:27:55 PM »
You need to weigh your career goals when thinking about a school.  I have been told that FSU is an excellent school if you are planning to practice criminal law in the state of Florida.  I am not sure whether Miami has an "area of expertise" or a reputation in a certain area of law.  Also think about where you will be most comfortable living for the next three years of your life, and possibly in the future.  If you know that you want to be in Miami, it would be best to go to law school there and start maikng connections with those who could be your possible employers in the future.  If you want to be in Tallahassee, or maybe even in GA, then think about FSU.  Also, you may want to take the school's rank into consideration.  I have no idea what they are for those schools, but rank can be a factor for some employers

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 03:40:01 PM »
FSU is ranked higher than Miami, but I don't think its more than 20 or so spots on USNWR

LawstCause

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 02:36:59 PM »
FSU is currently 53rd, and has moved up several spots in the past couple of years. A trend which is probably going to continue at least until it is around the same rank of UF, which is 48.  My reasons for thinking this are that FSU has had the highest bar passage in Florida for 3 years running and 4 out of the past 5 years.  Also, the recruitment of FSU students has increased over the same time period.  One more, FSU (as a whole) is dedicated to raising the prestige of its graduate programs with increased funding, including acquiring a the old 1st DCA courthouse building, which is directly adjacent to the law school. 
My opinion is biased, but I picked FSU over UM and UF, and don't regret it.  UM may have a slight advantage in recruiting in Miami, but FSU has a great OCI program with firms located in Miami, all over Florida, and the southeast.

vaplaugh

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 02:59:29 PM »
Not taking into account finances at all?  Miami all the way.  I've never been to Tallahassee or Miami, but my guess would be that Miami > Tallahassee. 

Although, it's impossible to make any decision without accounting for money.  Even as other posters are discussing ranking and job prospects, the ultimate issue is money.  "What school will give me a better opportunity to get a job?" = question about money.

BTW, #9... http://writ.news.findlaw.com/commentary/20000620_goldstein.html
You've got to love the disclaimer, too.