Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOR's  (Read 902 times)

Mina

• View Profile
LOR's
« on: March 15, 2008, 08:47:53 PM »
should I ask my professor for one now, or should I wait until I get my spring semster grades?

I just don't feel like asking any of them now, it might divert my focus and create stigma that is unnecessary.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LOR's
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 09:15:29 PM »
should I ask my professor for one now, or should I wait until I get my spring semster grades?

I just don't feel like asking any of them now, it might divert my focus and create stigma that is unnecessary.

for transferring?  apps are due probably before grades come out.  Grading is blind anyway, and all your professors went to better schools then you did, so its not like they have any real ties to your law school.  So, anyway, ask soon.  The professors are busy, apps are due soon, and you dont have to worry about a stigma.

xmacro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 10:57:35 PM »
Do you suggest any particular approach?  I typically sit in one of the front rows and try to answer questions once or twice a class - should I participate more or see them more during office hours?  how much contact do they expect before we ask for a recommendation?

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 11:53:12 PM »

So, anyway, ask soon.  The professors are busy, apps are due soon, and you dont have to worry about a stigma.
[/quote]

apps are due soon?????? what's the hurry if they are not going to review them until they are complete?? (June/July)
The George Washington University Class of 2010.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 02:13:08 AM »
I dont know, I thought it was pretty soon, plus, it takes a while for everything to come in.  Its whatever, but I always feel like sooner is better then later.

ronaldo699

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 11:46:51 AM »
schools wont even look at ur app till spring grades are out and sent via official transcript...   id wait , less you connected well w/ a fall semester prof that you dont have for spring

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 12:18:05 PM »
Do you suggest any particular approach?  I typically sit in one of the front rows and try to answer questions once or twice a class - should I participate more or see them more during office hours?  how much contact do they expect before we ask for a recommendation?

one to two questions a class is a little intense.  Professors hate gunners as much as students do.  Somethings to consider doing are to occasionally, when you have a relevant question, go to the professor's office hours.  Also, professors at my school typically do lunches with students occasionally.  Its a good way to get to know the professor without annoying them or annoying the class.

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 01:10:07 PM »
so, why some schools suggest to "apply as soon as possible"  ???
The George Washington University Class of 2010.

AnneBoleyn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 11:05:58 PM »
Another good way to get to know professors is to ask them about their papers and research, or cases on the cutting edge in their fields.