Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Courses to take in preparation of bar exam  (Read 727 times)

lawzombie

• View Profile
Courses to take in preparation of bar exam
« on: March 15, 2008, 02:00:07 PM »
I'll be taking the bar in February.  Does anyone have any suggestions of what classes in school are a must to take for the bar exam?

Dominastl

• View Profile
Re: Courses to take in preparation of bar exam
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 03:12:39 PM »
Well aside from the subjects tested on the multistate portion of the bar you should check out what additional subjects are tested on the specific state bar(s) that you plan on taking.
Always MY pleasure,

Dominastl

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 02:40:22 PM »
I agree on the state-related courses. See what's tested in the state where you plan to take the bar. Eg., Corporations/Business Associations, Agency, Partnership; Secured Transactions; Commercial Paper; Family law; State-specific subjects such as civ pro, evidence, or prof. responsibility; Oil and gas law; etc.

As far as MBE, make sure you have not just basic contracts but UCC2, and also Criminal Procedure (4th/5th/6th amendments).

mtfbwy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 03:14:39 PM »
They're not "in school," but I can think of two classes that are a must: BarBri and PMBR (the 3-day). 

I'll be taking the bar in February.  Does anyone have any suggestions of what classes in school are a must to take for the bar exam?

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 04:39:25 PM »
You should check with your state board of bar admissions to see what topics are covered on the bar and in what percentages. 

If you want to get started reviewing now, I would start listening to the PMBR audio CDs in the car (on the subway, however you travel).  That helps to dig the cobwebs out of your brain since most of the stuff on the MBE was covered during your first year of law school. 

In Texas, procedure and evidence was a big deal, so I took a procedure class my last year.  Also, I took wills and trusts, because that is a big essay topic.  So, in terms of classes, take what you can that is covered on the bar in your state.

If your state tests commercial paper on the bar exam, I STRONGLY suggest that you take that class.  You can teach yourself secured transactions, but commercial paper is a little abstract and requires some extra thought. 

That being said, I would still recommend barbri and pmbr ( I would say both the 6 day and 3 day.).  They are costly, but go to the barbri lectures, take notes --use handouts, review them carefully after class, and write practice exam questions.  PMBR really throws you some crazy MBE questions that really make you study the nuances of the law. Whatever study plan you choose, you have to stick with it and be disciplined.  Almost any type of study regimen where you review all of the law to be covered at least 2 or 3 times before the exam can help and lead to a passing score, as long as you are serious about it and stick to it. Most people do barbri and PMBR to "force discipline" on themselves, and it works, most of the time.   
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!