Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Federal District Court of NY State Appellate Division?  (Read 545 times)

NYC1L

• View Profile
Federal District Court of NY State Appellate Division?
« on: March 14, 2008, 05:18:50 PM »
Hey new to the board so go easy on me.   ;D Im applying for a Judicial Externship through my school for Fall 08. Im wondering what experience if any will look better on a resume. Is there any difference in prestige and overall experience between NY State Appellate Division and SDNY or EDNY? Any idea which one is harder to get? I will probably apply to both and hope to get one of the two. I just wanted to see if anyone has any insight.   Its a volunteer position for credit that I think could definitely be good experience regardless of the court. I would consider clerking after graduation but not totally set on that. Any and all help would be appreciated!

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
Re: Federal District Court of NY State Appellate Division?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 06:30:35 PM »
I'm curious to see what type of responses you get. Last year I was in the same position as you were. I was in a limbo between choosing an externship with the federal district ct of california or the state supreme court of california. Ultimately, I couldn't do either because of a family emergency but I am lucky enough to have a second chance this summer. I will be an extern at the Supreme Court of CA and i wanted to  get some opinions regarding "prestige" and overall experience. I go to a T3 law school and I'm in the top 20%. I want to try and land a job with a big firm...hopefully this could help make me stand out a little.

Best of luck to you...I hope you get the one you want.
shine on

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 07:47:33 PM »
federal>state appellate.

when its state supreme, answer vary as to which is better.  Depending on what district you are talking about, things vary a lot as well. SDNY is almost as good as many federal circuit courts.  Good luck in whatever you do though.  Ive heard judicial internships are a great experience, and, as long as you dont dip below a state appellate court, you will learn a lot.  I say this because state trial often doesnt involve much research or writing which isnt always the best experience. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 09:02:05 AM »
Aside from the prestige issue, which is what you're asking for, you may also want to consider the differences in the type of work you'll be doing.  The type of writing and research you do will be quite different.  You'll also have different opportunities in the type of courtroom "work" you see - hearings and trials vs. oral arguments.  In my experience, it seems that many people enjoy one much more than the other.

One other thing to think about - do you know where you eventually want to practice?  If you're sticking more locally, then either judge will provide good contacts and will be very helpful later on if they like you and are willing to give you a good recommendation.  If you're thinking of leaving the area, however, the federal judge may be more likely to know people outside of NY, at least professionally.  (none of this is set in stone of course, as judges at the federal and state appellate level all seem to be pretty well connected).