Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone considering or decided on the Univ of Tulsa?  (Read 8380 times)

Illyria

• View Profile
    • Email
Anyone considering or decided on the Univ of Tulsa?
« on: March 14, 2008, 10:19:55 AM »
I will be attending the Univ of Tulsa this fall and just looking for my future classmates.

gamboooler

• View Profile
Re: Anyone considering or decided on the Univ of Tulsa?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 03:34:32 PM »
Count me in.  Will be heading to Tulsa in the fall.

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 03:56:22 PM »
I went to Pre-law day this past saturday and was impressed by the school.  I did however talk to some students I ran into touring the library and halls that weren't wearing name tags, ie: not ambassadors or cheerleaders to get some unbiased info on the school.  Each and every one of them confirmed to me the rumors I had heard of the harsh grading scale and reluctance to give out high marks.  They all said that this is due to keeping people from transferring to other schools and other reasons like people not qualifying for their scholarships and thus having to pay full tuition.

I did like what I heard regarding OCI's and summer internships from nearly every student I talked to, sounds like there might actually be opportunities for those other than the Law Review people.   In all I talked to approximately 15 students that WERE NOT part of pre-law day and feel that I got a reasonable feel for the school in addition to the pre-law Kool-Aid drinkers...
University of Oklahoma '11

gamboooler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 04:20:40 PM »
Aren't harsh grading curves the norm at the lower ranked schools though?  It seems to me that grades are relative and class rank is much, much more important.

The scholarship stuff could be true, I don't know how many scholarship renewals are based on class rank v. GPA.

Illyria

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 09:57:21 AM »
I am so happy to see at least one and possibly two future classmates on LSD!  I live in Tulsa (well, actually a suburb of Tulsa) so if you have any questions about the area just let me know.

Happy - I'm impressed with how much investigation you did at Pre-law Day.  Did the students that you talked with seem happy to be there, despite the harsh grading curve?  I already knew about the harsh grading curve so I'm prepared for that.  As Gambooler says, its really more important where you fall in the ranking since its a grading curve.  If you find the TU policy handbook on their website the grading curve is in there.  If I recall correctly it seems like the top 25-35% make above a 3.0 so anyone with a scholarship has to be in the top 25-25% of the class in order to keep their scholarship.

Gambooler - I look forward to meeting you and hopefully sharing classes with you.  What's your story?  I mean, are you coming straight from UG?  Or a non-traditional?  Just looking to get to know my classmates.  :)

tomed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 02:20:04 PM »
I may be attending Tulsa this fall. I am still waiting to see about another school in my home state, but it looks like Tulsa.
I have heard nothing but good things about the School and the town. Anyone have any other info on the area, I am trying to research places to live.

melisssasue

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alemanmelissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 04:46:44 PM »
I'm a 1L at Tulsa.  Glad to see some people are actually using this thread.  I tried without much success last year.  If any of you have questions feel free to post them.  See you all in the fall!

Tomed - try and live around campus, it makes things sooo much easier.  around May there will be a ton of rental properties and stuff for sale.

tomed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 05:13:06 PM »
What is the rent like in that area. I am used to a 1-2hr commute so anything within 30 min will be a blessing. Also you may not be able to help with this question, but what is the job market like in the medical industry in Tulsa? My wife will be looking for a job next december.

melisssasue

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alemanmelissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 08:07:29 PM »
As to the medical question I know quite a few classmates who spouse's work in the medical field here.  All of these people are from out of state so they found jobs pretty easily.  Granted this is not a detialed response because the only knowledge I have is second hand but I hope it eases your mind a little.

Rent depends.  I currently rent a 2 br house about 900 sq ft for $650 and its only 2 blocks from school.  I would say for a 2 br, which you want so that you have a study place at home, you will be looking at any where from $600 - $900.

Also something I was unaware of, either because my home town area doesn't do this or because only Tulsa does this, but Saturdays are the big days for housing stuff in the newspaper.  Also check criaglist there are usually some pretty great properties on there.

Illyria

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 11:53:27 AM »
What is the rent like in that area. I am used to a 1-2hr commute so anything within 30 min will be a blessing. Also you may not be able to help with this question, but what is the job market like in the medical industry in Tulsa? My wife will be looking for a job next december.

One of the many great things about Tulsa is that you don't have to deal with a commute like that.  Compared to the major cities, traffic is a breeze and if you drive 30 minutes you can be in the country surrounded by cows.  :)  As far as rentals, have you checked into the apartments that Tulsa has on campus?  They look like they would be really nice and then you'd be right there by classes, the gym, the library, etc.  They don't allow animals so that might be a limitation for you.  I live in a nice suburb of Tulsa and my commute to the school is about 20 minutes.  You can be just about anywhere you want in Tulsa and be a quick drive to the school.  If I didn't have kids and was just moving to the area (and had rejected the on-campus apartments) I would try to find a rental near the school in one of the cute little gingerbread cottage looking houses.  There are a bunch of those in the mid-town area where the college is located.

What does your wife do in the medical industry?  If she is a nurse she will have no trouble at all finding a job.  I have several friends who are nurses and the demand for nurses is very high in Tulsa.  St. John's and Hillcrest are both just a couple of miles from the school but St. Francis is the largest hospital in Tulsa and its about 8 miles from the campus I would guesstimate.  Like I said, nothing is very far when you're used to an hour or two commute as you said you've been doing. Hope this info. helps.