Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Working during Bar Study  (Read 4715 times)

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Working during Bar Study
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:51:56 PM »
What's the typical way to do this?  Is it a bad idea to work during bar study?  What do most people do?

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
Re: Working during Bar Study
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 10:57:14 PM »
Most people do not.

Working while studying adds additional stress to an already stressful situation.  I knew one person who did this and passed the first time, and she took a lot of bar courses in the state where she ended up practicing.  And she didn't have ANY free time.  ANY.

The short term benefit of working (unless you have to to keep your post graduate job) far outweighs the losses you may incur if you fail.  Most people just say its not worth it and take out one last loan. 
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 11:15:53 PM »
Most people do not.

Did you graduated in Fall of 2007 and retaking the Bar exam?

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 11:16:59 PM »
No.

I graduated in May 2007, and I passed the bar exam the first time in July 2007.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 11:20:57 PM »
No.

Are you looking for employment in the Dallas area?  If so, and since you went to SMU,if you don't my asking, why do you have such trouble finding employment?

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 12:12:25 AM »
I'm not answering this question because I have answered it before.  See my prior posts.  The end. 

So many people want to live in a dream world re: job prospects after law school. At the end of the day, getting your first job out of law school is like getting your first job out of undergrad--you don't have any experience, therefore you aren't that marketable to employers. So, it takes awhile for most people to find work.

A law degree is not a ticket to a permanent job.  If you want a ticket to a permanent job, go get an MBA and learn Spanish. Or, get a Masters in Education. 

No.

Are you looking for employment in the Dallas area?  If so, and since you went to SMU,if you don't my asking, why do you have such trouble finding employment?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 12:22:23 AM »
I'm not answering this question because I have answered it before.  See my prior posts.  The end. 

A law degree is not a ticket to a permanent job.  If you want a ticket to a permanent job, go get an MBA and learn Spanish. Or, get a Masters in Education. 

I apologize if I offended you. It's just surprising that a top tier (or at least near top tier) school graduate AND the only law school's graduate in a big city such as Dallas would have probem finding employment. 

May I ask if you're somewhat picky.....such as you're avoiding say, family law or certain type of law?

I think the unemployment rate among MBAs or at least beginner MBAs is much higher than JDs. 

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 09:50:21 AM »
I have friends who have JD/MBA combos who get snapped up when they finish. Maybe its the combo, not the MBA itself. 

Anyhow, I am not being picky. Pretty much from January -May and again from September -now, I put in applications EVERYWHERE.  Large firms (even though I knew that was a stretch with my grades), small firms, medium sized firms, government--and, to correct you, I am actually interested in family law.  I would take a family law job before anything, because that is where my interests lie. 

Dallas is flooded not only with SMU grads, but grads of all other Texas law schools, including UT. 

I would still have to disagree with you on the MBA/JD, at least in Dallas.  An MBA in DFW is like gold.  There are so many companies headquartered here. Law jobs in Dallas are hard to come by unless you have years of experience in a particular area.  No experience + flooded market + bad economy = long job search. 

And unemployment and underemployment (or no employment in the legal field) are two totally different things. If you take a job that pays ok, that has nothing to do with law, if you went to law school for the right reasons, there will still be a longing to practice law.  Job dissatisfaction abounds. I know people who have jobs, but hate them because they are not legal jobs.  But you have to do what you have to do to survive.

I apologize if I offended you. It's just surprising that a top tier (or at least near top tier) school graduate AND the only law school's graduate in a big city such as Dallas would have probem finding employment. 

May I ask if you're somewhat picky.....such as you're avoiding say, family law or certain type of law?

I think the unemployment rate among MBAs or at least beginner MBAs is much higher than JDs. 

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 03:05:18 PM »
smujd, so, how helpful is your career service office?  What are you doing other than sending out random resumes?  Do you have anything that might stand out a little, such as moot court, trial court, externship, etc?  What did you do during your 1L and 2L summers? One last question....how many of your classmates whom you know of are in the same boat? 

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 01:00:47 AM »
Obviously, you have not been to law school yet--or you are a 1L or something. You have no idea how competitive this profession is. You are naive, and to some degree, I feel sorry for you.

I have not been sending out  "random resumes."  In fact, probably what you would consider to be a "random resume" actually landed me a job offer recently.

Many of my classmates are in the same boat.  If you are not in the top half of the class at any school that's not top 20, this is what you face.  Statistics are not on your side. 

I worked halfway through law school--going to school full time, and sometimes even working 2 part time jobs.  I worked for a judge, and at a couple of law offices, and I clerked at a large city attorney's office. I did everything everyone says you should do that was within reach.  Sure, my grades weren't great, but there were people with worse grades than me. The bottom line, is like I said: no full time experience= problems finding a job in ANY field.

By the way, while you are interrogating me when this isn't even your thread, what are you bringing to the table other than attacking the fact that it took me awhile to find a full time job? What do you have to contribute? Where are you in this process?