Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Professor RA as a 0L?  (Read 1983 times)

phillyphan

• View Profile
Professor RA as a 0L?
« on: March 13, 2008, 11:20:16 AM »
Hi all,

I'm currently planning on attending the same school as my undergrad for law school, and I'll be on campus for the summer.  I'm only working a part-time night job, so I'll have a lot of free time.

I was wondering if you guys think it would be possible to get a job as a research assistant for a professor this summer before starting law school.  If so, how should I go about finding a job/marketing myself to professors.  Thanks!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Professor RA as a 0L?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 11:59:47 AM »
You won't for a law professor, as you have no idea whatsoever how to do legal research.  Legal research isn't like just going to the library and finding some books like undergrad.  It's not that legal research is insanely difficult; it's just that its a very different skill set.

You may be able to find something for undergrad professors, if they have any of those kinds of positions available.  They may be limited to university work study students though.  I'd ask someone in a department you have experience in or are interested in whether or not anything like this is available.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:07:12 PM »
You could see if you could serve as an undergrad intern with a non-profit legal organization. 

If you have strong editing skills, you could try marketing yourself to a law professor who is finishing a book.  I'd ask one of your favorite professors if they know of any law professors doing research this summer that you could help with.  If you don't mind not getting paid, you may be able to find something.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 12:36:46 PM »
Another possibility is if some of the law faculty teach undergraduate classes on international law or con law. 
I know that at my school there are about three professors who also teach undergraduate courses.

If your school has someone like that, and if you've had them in undergrad, and if you did well, and if they like you.
Then maybe you can do that.

But that's a lot of ifs.

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 04:58:30 PM »
How would an 0L do research without Lexis or West access? 
2L

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 06:05:12 PM »
Hi all,

I'm currently planning on attending the same school as my undergrad for law school, and I'll be on campus for the summer.  I'm only working a part-time night job, so I'll have a lot of free time.

I was wondering if you guys think it would be possible to get a job as a research assistant for a professor this summer before starting law school.  If so, how should I go about finding a job/marketing myself to professors.  Thanks!

Dude, enjoy your last summer of freedom.  Gunners make me laugh......