Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: # of OCI interviews and employers  (Read 1728 times)

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
# of OCI interviews and employers
« on: March 12, 2008, 04:32:14 PM »
How important is the number of OCI interviews and employers that a school reports in getting a job?  One school I am interested in has lists just 5 OCI, and another lists 35.  Essentially the same rank of school, but I would have to move for the school with 35 OCI.  I would assume that the school that has 35 OCI would hire deeper into the class? right?
University of Oklahoma '11

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
Re: # of OCI interviews and employers
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 04:38:46 PM »
The bigger the numbers the better the odds.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 04:50:18 PM »
35>5.

But you should also look at how the OCIs are done.  If it's by firms select, then there's a good chance the same 15 kids will get interviews with most of the firms.  Unless you're one of the top students, you can count yourself out probably. 

At either of these schools, you should not expect to be hired through OCI.  Honestly, these are both extremely low numbers of employers at OCI.

vaplaugh

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 05:54:46 PM »
35>5.

But you should also look at how the OCIs are done.  If it's by firms select, then there's a good chance the same 15 kids will get interviews with most of the firms.  Unless you're one of the top students, you can count yourself out probably. 

At either of these schools, you should not expect to be hired through OCI.  Honestly, these are both extremely low numbers of employers at OCI.

Seconded.  This may seem like a large disparity, but it probably won't benefit you much to attend the school with betters numbers (unless we know more about the schools and your personal goals).

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 06:40:22 PM »
35>5.

Seconded.  This may seem like a large disparity, but it probably won't benefit you much to attend the school with betters numbers (unless we know more about the schools and your personal goals).

I was not being purposely vague...  The two schools are OCU and St. Mary's.  Markets are similar, school rankings are similar.  I live in Norman but would consider a move to San Antonio as I have spent alot of time in south central Texas.  As far as after graduation goals I am not set.  A possible return to OK, but after 3 years I might be comfortable in Texas.  San Antonio does have bigger cities/markets such as Houston and Austin near by, but in terms of city proper, I don't think San Antonio is much better than OKC.  I have spent time in both and I think SA suffers from the little brother complex being so near Austin, while OKC is the big brother here in OK.   

I have 11 applications out and will be needing to narrow my focus in the near future and was curious...

vaplaugh

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 06:51:11 PM »
How much debt from each?  I'm guessing significantly less from OCU?  That's probably the better bet.

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 06:55:46 PM »
How much debt from each?  I'm guessing significantly less from OCU?  That's probably the better bet.

It really depends on merit money, I have decent numbers and by past accounts on LSN I should get some decent money at both.   80K OCU vs. 66K St. M's.  I have heard that residency is kinda difficult in Texas to establish...   This is all a moot point if I get into my two somewhat reaches..  U of Oklahoma and U of Arkansas

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 07:51:08 PM »
35 OCI's is scary.  My school has over 400.  I can't imagine even going to a school with 35 unless I was certain I didn't want biglaw.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 07:56:16 PM »
My 1L school (a T4) had 3 OCI employers.  I have since transferred to a school with 300-400.  It makes a big difference!

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 09:12:58 PM »
35>5.

35>5?

not so much here. 35 OCIs (i bet over half are public interest) might as well be 5.  out of those 35, maybe, just maybe a handful will actually end up hiring someone from your school.  There is no "large disparity," between 35 and 5, in fact, there is probably no disparity at all. 

my 1l school had about 35 ocis for 350 2Ls.  my current school has about 250 ocis for about 125 2ls.