Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Value of a Clinical Externship  (Read 4525 times)

AssaultAndBattery

• View Profile
    • Email
Value of a Clinical Externship
« on: March 12, 2008, 01:05:39 AM »
I have been offered a clinical externship .. My question is, what is the value of such a position? Will this position help me secure future legal work? Does it look good on a resume? This position will require me to work about 25 hours a week, its unpaid, but I do get school credit. The externship only accepts 5 students per semester.

I really would like a paid position however, but I have had no luck so far securing such a position and this externship will be done in the summer. I am a 1L btw. Should I accept the externship or hold out for paid legal office or firm work which is not guaranteed?

Any response is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time,

-AB

vaplaugh

Re: Value of a Clinical Externship
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 08:10:55 AM »
Well, you're probably not just going to put "clinic" on your resume.  It kind of depends what type of clinic this is / where you're working.  If you are interested in the type of work, then go for it.

MrBrett1117

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 09:26:02 AM »
What is your GPA and what school do you attend?  That will make a difference.

AssaultAndBattery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 02:56:05 PM »

Top 40%. T4

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 03:11:16 PM »

Top 40%. T4

your shot at paid firm work is limited.  Its very difficult for students, even at top schools to get paid firm work (in any size firm), their first summer.  Most work for free.  So, I would consider working for the clinic.  If you want additional experience, consider being a paid research assistant for your professor or looking for a voluntary position in a local legal office for a few hours a week. 

If the clinic is graded (not just pass/fail), there is even more of a reason to do it as you need to bring your gpa up before fall recruitment and the summer is the perfect time.

AssaultAndBattery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 06:42:33 PM »
I appreciate your reply.

The clinic is pass/fail.

What are your thoughts on the value of such position on a resume? Do prospective employers atleast see this as a valuable experience in a legal environment? I will be working directly with clients and doing discovery and motions and the such. It sounds like valuable experience.

LawSchoolStrategies.com

• View Profile
    • Law School Strategies.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 06:46:06 PM »
It is absolutely valuable experience, a great resume builder, and (gasp) it's FUN! I would strongly recommend it.
www.LawSchoolStrategies.com
Visit us for strategies and advice on succeeding in law school.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 07:57:49 PM »
If I were a 1L again I'd kill to do a clinic.  I've found many employers ask if I've done a clinic.

AssaultAndBattery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 10:04:24 PM »
thanks everyone. Normally, how competitive are clinical externship? I thought at first it was simple but when I was told only 5 people are accepted to this offered externship, ( hundreds apply because it is open to many law schools  not just mine) I was baffled. Competition carries over to clinical externships as well I guess.  ???

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 10:25:21 PM »
thanks everyone. Normally, how competitive are clinical externship? I thought at first it was simple but when I was told only 5 people are accepted to this offered externship, ( hundreds apply because it is open to many law schools  not just mine) I was baffled. Competition carries over to clinical externships as well I guess.  ???

welcome to law school :)

i am applying right now and there are between 8-10 spots available for the clinic i am interested in.  And, there are over 1000 students that could apply to the position.  Its kind of crazy, but nothing in law school comes easy.