Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Value of a Clinical Externship  (Read 4408 times)

vignette

• View Profile
Re: Value of a Clinical Externship
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 05:06:57 PM »
My school offers some very good clinical externship programs that allow students to earn credit while assuming the role of an attorney or judicial clerk in the litigation/adjudication of real cases. Students are placed in government agencies and judicial settings, in the State Attorney, Public Defender and Legal Aid offices throughout the state. Each program has both an academic and a clinical segment. A faculty supervisor oversees the academic segment, which provides perspective and trains the student in self-reflection and critical analysis of the institutions, processes, lawyering skills, and ethical issues related to the specific externship. A placement supervisor at the office location provides the clinical segment. The placement supervisor gives case assignments and assists/critiques the student to assure effective handling of the casework.

marybishara

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 03:53:57 AM »
where do you get those externships from?

wustl3l

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 04:03:54 AM »
I did a clinic and found it very interesting to apply the law to real world situations. But I don't think it boosted my marketability at all. No one ever asked about it.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 10:12:16 AM »
A quick question from a soon-to-be 1L:

Can you put clinical externship experience on your resume? 

I read about how competitive they are from this thread;  I have to believe that it is something employers look for.

wustl3l

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 02:35:48 PM »
Feel free to believe what you want but realize that you're a 0L and I am a JD who actually did a clinic, OCI, etc.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 02:41:14 PM »
Feel free to believe what you want but realize that you're a 0L and I am a JD who actually did a clinic, OCI, etc.

I don't know if this was meant for me, but the reason I ask if clinical experience is put in a resume is because that may be part of a reason that employers may choose to interview you.  Additionally, if the experience is good, in terms of learning applicable things about the practice of the law, I would guess that maybe you can reference this in your interviews with potential employers.

But, I don't really know.  Just guessing, and hoping to see if others who have had clinical experience can chime in with what was the case for them.  For now, clinical experience is in the back of my mind.  Still need to get through the first year.

wustl3l

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 03:09:46 PM »
Yes, you can put it on your resume. Certainly any kind of experience helps with regards to adding more flavor to interviews. Do employers choose the top half of the class student who did the immigration clinic over the top 33% student who didn't? No.