Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A question so as to not sell myself short.  (Read 3822 times)

WhiteSoxFan

• View Profile
A question so as to not sell myself short.
« on: March 11, 2008, 08:52:47 PM »
Although I'm currently a 2L, I wanted to post this here because I feel a 3L's knowledge would be most relevant and applicable to my question.  If I spend the summer after my 2nd year doing volunteer legal work for a public interest organization, how might a post-graduation employer perceive this expeience relative to other types of summer positions?  Experience is experience obviously, but is there any discrepancy in the context of the experience that could have an effect on  post-graduation employement?

Peaches

• View Profile
Re: A question so as to not sell myself short.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 09:25:16 PM »
I think you know the answer to this...

You don't need a 3L to tell you this.  It depends on your ideal post-graduation employer. 

If you're applying for firms, the hierarchy is :
Nothing < Study Abroad < Public Interest/Government < Firm Job < Prestigious Firm Job.

There are some extremely competitive nationally-recognized public interest/government opportunities that would be on-par with prestigious firm job, but you'd probably know if you had one.  You could also convincingly sell something in a very closely-related practice area to what you want to do.  But firms generally prefer people who've worked in firms.  That's why career service offices usually encourage students to do public interest 1L year -- because you ideally should work in a firm your 2L summer.  But if that's what you've got at this point, you should go with it and be content. 

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 01:05:34 AM »
I re-read your post on the other thread.  Public interest/government is fine for you this summer as long as you aren't desperate for major law firms. But you're not in a great position for that right now anyway, so I don't think you lose any major opportunities from doing public interest this summer.  And doing public interest your 2L year will help you in at least the public interest/government 3L job search.

The important thing is to get substantive legal experience.  Given your situation, you shouldn't feel bad about taking what you can get. 

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 07:53:05 PM »
I don't think it is bad in itself.  However, if you go to firms you may have an issue explaining why you did it versus working for a firm.  (ie, do you really want to work for a firm, why didn't you get a firm last summer, etc.)

Another point: I HIGHLY recommend working during your 2L summer at a place where you would like to begin your career, and try to get an offer this summer.  I cannot stress this enough.

sternerstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 12:09:46 AM »

You don't need a 3L to tell you this.  It depends on your ideal post-graduation employer. 

Nothing < Study Abroad < Public Interest/Government < Firm Job < Prestigious Firm Job.

[/quote]

----
Obviously a judicial internship is part of the government, any insight into attractiveness to big firms for interning at the state/ federal level for 1L summer or 2L fall/spring.  **Attractiveness to big firms, big market.
cheers.  My opinion was this was better than working as a legal intern at a small-med firm that you have no interest working for down the road, or in an area you dont wan't to practice in.  Thoughts?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 02:18:15 PM »

Where do externship/internship with a judge and externship/internship with a legal department of a corporation fit in?

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 07:48:23 PM »
Not sure.  From what I've heard, externships are less prestigious than internships.  The externship/internship with the judge would fit in with government, with prestige bump for higher courts.  I guess legal department of corporation would go with firm job or prestigious firm job depending on the corporation.

ucla123

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 08:38:20 PM »
Where do you think an internship with a major sports league would fall on the "hierarchy" of jobs one may be ablr to obtain after 2L year? I am in the application process for one of these internships and I am just curious as to how this will impact my firm job search next year.

AnneBoleyn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 09:10:19 PM »
Wouldn't that be similar to a big corporation gig?  I think you should look at prestige as just one factor; obviously if you want to do the same practice area as the internship, then that's probably getting you good experience that will make you more marketable.

LawstCause

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 03:17:04 PM »
How is an externship less prestigious than an internship?  They are the same thing.  Do people dislike it because it contains the letter "x"?  Did you hear this when you were reading your post outloud to yourself?