Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring from Puerto Rico  (Read 1781 times)

gmaldonado

• View Profile
Transferring from Puerto Rico
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:09:04 AM »
Just for the record, I am a a puertorican undergrad student from the University of Puerto Rico.  As the end of the semester approaches, I have given serious thought about what to do about law school.  Seeing as how I only have a 3.0 GPA and a 150 LSAT, I know that I am most likely bound to T3 or T4 schools. 

I am considering two possible scenarios:
A- Enroll at the University of Puerto Rico School of Law (not ranked in USNEWS, just like the other two schools in PR), then try to transfer to a good school in the USA (say top 25 or somewhere around that)

B- Enroll at a T3 or T4 school and try to transfer from there.

Does anyone know if anyone has been successful in transferring from UPR to a well ranked school?  What are my chances if I decide for option B?

I know I have to be top 15% or better in my class to accomplish any of these.

MrBrett1117

• View Profile
Re: Transferring from Puerto Rico
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:23:17 AM »
The standard rule is not to attend a school unless you would be happy to graduate in the middle of the class from there.  If you would be unhappy doing that from UPR or a T3/T4 school, then retake the LSAT and increase your score.  Never go to law school banking on transferring (especially to a T25 school.)

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 10:28:50 AM »
I'd go to the highest-ranked school you can get into, so long as it's in an area you'd want to work.

Agree with the poster above though.  What makes you think that you're going to be at the top of your class though?  Because whatever it is, 90% of your classmates are thinking that right now too.

AnneBoleyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 11:34:18 AM »
Don't go to Puerto Rico unless it's for spring break.

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 06:29:41 PM »
go to a school in the continental US in an area in which you would be fine working in. Then do your best.
The George Washington University Class of 2010.

SouVitor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 07:32:53 PM »
This is funny.  I pondered this exact same question a year ago.  I'm also from the island but I went to school stateside.  Before you enroll at UPR Law, keep in mind that UPR teaches in Spanish and their courses focus on PR civil law and some federal common law. 

Spanish:  during your first year, you will learn the law and the legal jargon in Spanish.  You will learn legal writing in Spanish.  After a year, when you head to the states (if you do transfer), you will be challenged to do your legal writing in English as well as learning the same legal jargon in another language.  I can see this being a challenging transition.

Civil/Common Law:  the PR law schools will teach you the law, both civil and common law, but their focus will be in the PR civil law system even during your first year.  Read the course offerings and you will notice that most course offerings are in civil law and that your first year will focus on this legal system. 

Now, if you want to study in the states, you should do one of three things.  Study better for the LSAT (which I know is a very hard test for Puerto Ricans and Spanish speakers) and aim for an American school.  You can wait a cycle, apply to schools in the states with your numbers and add a addendum (which is what I did and got me to T2 and some low T1, but had higher numbers than yours).  You could go to UPR Law, get good grades and either transfer or do one of the joint degree or study abroad programs UPR has with UConn, U of A, Chile, Canada or Spain.  I pondered the third option a lot and almost did it but chose the second option because of my career goals (and the fact that UPR loves to go on strike every year or so and their infrastructure sucks).  Think of what you want to do and where you want to practice.  Do you want to practice in PR?  Then UPR is your best bet.  La Inter is really for UPR rejects and la Catolica... just tell me who in their right mind wants to live in Ponce.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 08:53:04 PM »
something to consider is possibly going to the University of Puerto Rico (is it aba approved?  I ask because I really have no clue), then coming to the states and getting an LLM from a better school.  Its an option at least. 

AnneBoleyn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 04:14:39 PM »
It is ABA-approved.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 09:58:20 PM »
It is ABA-approved.

weird.  I was always under the impression that usnews covered all aba schools, guess its just the state schools though?  good to know though.

I think the LLM option is the way to go then.

guatibiri

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 09:36:40 PM »
La Inter is actually the best law school in Puerto Rico.  Undergraduate, it is for gringos and UPR rejects.