Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Did you use an admissions consultant??  (Read 1631 times)

GringoBob

• View Profile
Did you use an admissions consultant??
« on: March 08, 2008, 09:40:16 PM »
I know this is a forum for students and graduates but I figured this group would probably have more insight than folks on the pre-law forum on this matter.   :)

Did any of you use an admissions consultant? If so, which admissions consulting service did you use?

I just want to feel like I didn't leave any stones unturned when this process is over some time next year. Dropping $1500 on a consultant may be money well spent if it means I get into my target school, but then again, how does one measure such a thing. It's probably more mental than anything else. A hedge would be to spend half that on a service that would look over my PS. I don't have money to burn but $1500 for a consultant would only be a fraction of what I'll eventually spend for three years of LS.

How many of you had a service look over your PSs?

Thanks for the constructive advice in advance.

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Did you use an admissions consultant??
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 09:45:09 PM »
sounds like a waste of 1500 bucks to me.  LSAT + GPA pretty determines pretty much everything unless you are a borderline candidate.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 10:56:24 PM »
It's a numbers game, plain and simple.  If you want to piss away $1500, though, PM me lol.

I mean seriously.  For $1500 you could apply to an additional 30-50 schools and let them sort you out.  However, like the previous poster said, it's a numbers game and nothing more.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 12:03:34 AM »
i agree with everyone.  its all numbers.  If you really want someone to look over your PS, people on the pre-law board pass them around for critiques all the time.  1500 equals about 27 applications, so just apply to more places. 

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 12:54:50 AM »
If you are on the lower borderline of the schools you want to go to, then it might be worth your while.
But that's the only scenario.  If you're below the line, they won't help, and if you're above the borderline, they won't give you any real extra edge.

Admissions Coaches are really better if you pick them up earlier in your career so that you can plan your UG better.  By the time you're in junior or senior year.... your ceiling has been set, because you know how well you could possibly do.

vaplaugh

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 09:58:40 AM »
Waste of money.

GringoBob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 12:46:02 PM »
I'm beginning to agree that it may be a waste of money but I'll play devil's advocate just to make sure.

StevePirates wrote, "If you are on the lower borderline of the schools you want to go to, then it might be worth your while".  Well, we're all on (or were on) the borderline with respect to our "reach" schools so would it not make sense for those who apply to a "reach" school to seek a little assistance and don't most people apply to at least one "reach" school? My thoughts are that you're really paying $1500 for a consultant so they can push you over that imaginary line and get you into that "reach" school.

One last point, if money were no object, wouldn't we all leverage off a consultant?  And that being said, doesn't that point to the notion that there may be, how ever small, some utility in getting a little professional help with applications?

Thanks again for the good advice.  Isn't there at least one person out there who used a consultant and can speak to the other side of this topic?

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 06:38:08 PM »
I was waitlisted at a school I really wanted to go to, so I really thought hard about using Anna Ivey.  I decided against it because her book was pretty helpful and a few hundred dollars cheaper.  Numbers aren't everything, but they are the biggest factor.  I think what can really put the borderline candidate in comes down to writing skills -- professional correspondence, persuasive resume, essay, and communicating your unique qualifications/experiences.  If you are a bad writer and know this (good for you, most people think they're great writers) then an admissions consultant definitely could be worth it. 

laurenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 10:36:11 PM »
If your main concern is your personal statement, maybe you should try sending it around to friends, family, the forums.  See what people's criticism is.  It's possible you can end up with a product that you're proud of, without the money.  Aside from the personal statement, I don't believe the consultant will do you much good at all.  I believe it's one of those services you could do on your own very easily through a little searching on the internet and some extra time.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 11:00:30 PM »
Nooooo I wouldn't waste my money!