Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LEEWS- helpful?  (Read 7705 times)

riss0016

• View Profile
    • Email
LEEWS- helpful?
« on: March 07, 2008, 10:45:45 AM »
LEEWS is coming to town on Sunday and I'm wondering if this is worth it.  I saw some previous posts approving of the program, but they mainly seemed to be from those that took it pre-law school.  I'm a 1L at a top 20 school who did pretty average last semester, A-, B+, B, B.  Needless to say I'm looking to do better, and I don't think working harder is going to get it done.

I'm really looking for feedback from those that took a semester or year without the program, then took it in hopes of improving their grades.  $135 isn't much for even the chance at improving grades, but if its entirely a scam I don't want to waste the time and money.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: LEEWS- helpful?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 11:54:59 AM »
I used it first semester 1L, and got a ton out of it and have done extremely well on every essay exam I've ever taken.

I have a good friend who didn't do very well first semester, did the one day seminar second semester, and did much better on exams second semester.  While LEEWS probably wasn't the only reason for this, she thinks it was a big part of her improvement.

LawSchoolStrategies.com

• View Profile
    • Law School Strategies.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 12:51:11 AM »
You asked whether it's worth it to take the LEEWS course and the answer is yes. First of all, it wouldn't take much of an upside considering that it costs only $135 and a Saturday. But either way, it's definitely worth it. The course teaches you exactly how to approach law school exams, which is important since, as you know, law school exams are completely different from tests you've taken in the past. The course will explain how to adequately prepare for exams, and then how to methodically identify and analyze each legal issue in your exam. Like you, I took the course after my first semester and it really helped. And I only listened to the audio tapes (didn't attend a live session). I'm actually writing a post right now for my website/blog about the value of LEEWS and similar programs in law school.

Good luck, and please let me/us know if you thought it was helpful.
www.LawSchoolStrategies.com
Visit us for strategies and advice on succeeding in law school.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 10:25:08 AM »
 A lot of my friends are taking it this semester to step up their game... but I did well already.  Worth it?

LawSchoolStrategies.com

• View Profile
    • Law School Strategies.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 06:33:47 PM »
I'll tell you this: it won't hurt. And further, I think it could help you regardless of how well you did. Considering the stakes of law school, if you learn one new thing or it helps your confidence or helps you create effective outlines, or whatever, it's worth it. So why not... go for it.
www.LawSchoolStrategies.com
Visit us for strategies and advice on succeeding in law school.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 09:23:09 AM »
If you think LEEWS is helpful, then try Flemmings!  I did the self study version over CDs and it helped me.

The only criticism was that he never replied to my practice essays.  On the CD he says he will critique practice essays that you email me.

broken

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 10:25:53 PM »
I'm going to counter most of what's been said in this thread and say don't waste your money.

I kind of wonder if a lot of people on this board who praise LEEWS are really smart and were going to do well on their exams anyway.

I tried it, it didn't help, and....that's WAY too much money. The best thing you can do to prepare for exams is do practice tests and as the profs for feedback. You already pay for that with your tuition dollars.

aman49

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 09:35:16 PM »
I'm going to counter most of what's been said in this thread and say don't waste your money.

I kind of wonder if a lot of people on this board who praise LEEWS are really smart and were going to do well on their exams anyway.

I tried it, it didn't help, and....that's WAY too much money. The best thing you can do to prepare for exams is do practice tests and as the profs for feedback. You already pay for that with your tuition dollars.

Did you listen to every CD (or attend the live version), read the primer, do UBE 3 times a week (at least), and take a bunch of practice exams? If not, then you didn't do LEEWS.

Mina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 10:26:26 PM »
No its not helpful, and may give you a bad grade.

Don't listen to what some guy who is trying to justify taking $100 from you instead of your professor and yourself, it is improbable this used-car salesman-like man is correct and every law-professor since the dawn of mankind is wrong.
With this in mind, Just read "The 8 Secretes of Top Exam Performance" by Yale Professor Whitebread, it costs 10 dollars, and 1/100 of the time, and ia 1,000 times more effective.

It gives you key general tips on preparing and writing an exam, not some specific formula that all-too-often goes against the grain of what the professor has taught, or style of exam. LEEWS may be helpful but can also f* up ur grades, the risk is urs.--M.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 08:55:35 AM »
No its not helpful, and may give you a bad grade.

Don't listen to what some guy who is trying to justify taking $100 from you instead of your professor and yourself, it is improbable this used-car salesman-like man is correct and every law-professor since the dawn of mankind is wrong.
With this in mind, Just read "The 8 Secretes of Top Exam Performance" by Yale Professor Whitebread, it costs 10 dollars, and 1/100 of the time, and ia 1,000 times more effective.

It gives you key general tips on preparing and writing an exam, not some specific formula that all-too-often goes against the grain of what the professor has taught, or style of exam. LEEWS may be helpful but can also f* up ur grades, the risk is urs.--M.

Uh...LEEWS is not going to @#!* up your grades, sorry.  If it screwed yours up, that's your own fault.  LEEWS is an exam writing system/approach.  Using it along with giving each professor what he or she wants is how you get good grades.  If you ignored any idea of what your prof wanted, too bad for you.  I used it, and did very well first semester by doing lots of practice exams AND ASKING 2Ls what my profs wanted.  I did even better second semester.

So bottom line - if you're stupid and think one day worth of CDs will get you As, and never look into what your prof looks for on exams, and get bad grades, it's NOT LEEWS; you've got no one else to blame but yourself.