Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Condo Bylaw Question, Property Law  (Read 417 times)

jondub

• View Profile
    • Email
Condo Bylaw Question, Property Law
« on: March 04, 2008, 10:26:09 PM »
This is just for my own information. I was wondering, does an amendment in the bylaws of a condo association need to be recorded in the deeds office (or wherever such is recorded)? Can amendments be official without recording? Is something like changing the composition of the Board (from a 5 to 3 member composition) material? I guess what I am trying to get at is, is an amendment like the composition of the Board important enough that you could make the argument that because it was not recorded it was not official, and you made me rely on a misrepresentation? I understand that the laws of individual states may impact this differently, and the state I am referring to is CT, but I'm just asking from your general knowledge. Thanks a lot.

starter

• View Profile
Re: Condo Bylaw Question, Property Law
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 07:32:14 AM »
Not familiar with CT law at all but it would appear that Section 47-71(c) might be helpful in answering your question.  It requires the "instruments" to be recorded after they have been amended a total of 5 times.  Instruments, in turn, is defined to include bylaws.

You'd have to take a look at the remedies provided to see what you could ask for. 

http://cga.ct.gov/2005/pub/Chap825.htm#Secs47-67%20and%2047-68.htm

jondub

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Condo Bylaw Question, Property Law
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 03:00:05 PM »
thanks for this, excellent work.