Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Out of my League interview...how to handle  (Read 6265 times)

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Out of my League interview...how to handle
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 08:06:03 PM »
5K is pretty reasonable.  Thank about it.

I'm new to the game but here is how much I estimated it will cost the firm that I am interviewing at through a connection.  I had these same thoughts until somebody told me how much they invest in these things.

Hotel Room = 780 for a night (Price on my reservation)
Plane Ticket 620 (Price on my reservation)
Travel Total = 1400

Lunch with firm = 400 (eating with 4 associates and I know the restaurant that the firm usually takes their interviewees to eat at and it is about 80 bucks a person

Meeting with attorneys (Already know who I am interviewing with so these calculations can be somewhat accurate)

6 Partners for 30 minutes each = 2250 (My dad has worked with three of these people before and therefore knows that their hourly rates are 700, 750, and 900.  Lets just say that their hourly rate is 750 for easy math.)

3 Associates for 30 minutes each = 750 (say 250 an hour)

That right there comes out to be $4800 and doesn't include any costs they occur when I am not there.  When a firm invites you for an interview from 9:00 am until 4:00 p.m it is going to cost them a bundle and they are taking you seriously.  The reason I did this calculation is that I just though the firm was being nice until I was pointed to how much money and time they would be wasting just to be nice.  Take it seriously because they probably are not simply being friendly.
Boalt Hall '10

T2Loser

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 01:06:43 PM »
You are using a very flimsy definition of "costs." It's not that the associate or partner that is interviewing you bills 1 less hour and it "costs" the firm $400. More likely, they just end up having to stay an hour later that night to finish up their work. It's not as if memos go unwritten.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 06:35:48 PM »
If your interview is not over, you need to think positive and focus on your assets.  Sounds like your work history is one of them.  Don't waste your time whining about not being in the top third of your class.  The way you make it sound, you are probably in the top half.  That being said, you do have a shot. Lots of firms hire from the top 1/2 after 1L OCI.   

Firms do waste money on screening interviews, a lot of times just to be like==I interviewed such and such number of people for this job. So, I wouldn't exactly agree with the notion that firms only interview people they are "serious" about.  If its an interview at the firm, with lunch--they are thinking seriously about you.  If its just an interview and they don't tell you what type (or won't tell you what type), then more likely than not, its a screening interview.  Always try to find out what type of interview you are doing--that's a hint as to how you should prepare.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 07:17:20 PM »
I had the interview the other day.  I tried to focus on my experience rather than on pedigree and class rank.  I think it worked, we hit it off, and I have a callback to meet with this guy's superior next week.  I think it went pretty well.  Thanks for all the advice.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 10:12:34 PM »
I had the interview the other day.  I tried to focus on my experience rather than on pedigree and class rank.  I think it worked, we hit it off, and I have a callback to meet with this guy's superior next week.  I think it went pretty well.  Thanks for all the advice.

You have a call back with "this guy's superior?"  Are you sure this is a Valut 100 firm?

LawstCause

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 03:14:30 PM »
$780 for a Night! What they have never heard of Hotwire.com?  So, how was your suite at the Waldorf-Astoria?

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 03:59:49 PM »
Pretty nice.  Interview went really well I thought. They told me I should hear back late this week at the interview so I am anxiously awaiting their decision.
Boalt Hall '10

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 11:11:59 PM »
Well just got my offer today.  It's for the Summer 2009.  Pretty excited though.  Have a V100 gig lined up for next summer (which I don't have to accept until like December or something) will make this summer a whole lot more relaxing.  Thanks for all of the advice and help that you guys gave.
Boalt Hall '10

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 07:41:41 AM »
Dude, law firms don't make offers a year in advance......  I call flame.

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 11:02:56 AM »
Well 2Lman you can call flame all you want.  You don't know everything there is to know how law firms do things.
Boalt Hall '10