Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Out of my League interview...how to handle  (Read 6258 times)

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Out of my League interview...how to handle
« on: March 04, 2008, 05:12:48 PM »
I am a 3L at a 40s T1 school.  I started at a T4, top 15%, transferred.  Now outside top 1/3 of class, but 2 book awards (my grades have been all over). No moot court, no law review or journal.  I'd say I have above average work experience (I've won actual hearings under law student practice rules).

Anyway, through a really solid, very well connected family friend, I have an interview with a Vault 100 firm.  I realize that they are meeting with me as a favor to him and that it might be a jerk off meeting, but is there any way I can convince them that I can do the job.

Anyone else get an offer this way?  Advice welcome.

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Out of my League interview...how to handle
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 05:25:12 PM »
First, you have the same shot as anybody else.  Law firms don't really do jerk off interviews.  the amount of money it costs them to interview people is easily in excess of 5,000 for an interview in their office.  If they weren't considering you they wouldn't waste their time or money.  Confidence is key.
Boalt Hall '10

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 05:26:54 PM »
What?  How could this possibly cost $5,000?

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 07:04:56 PM »
They can't bill time interviewing. And they usually have multiple partners meet you over the course of multiple hours. There is also often an expensive lunch that the firm pays for. Multiple hours of partner time is worth a lot of billable $.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 07:07:52 PM »
Yeah, but $5k is absurd lol.  Each partner spends about 20 minutes of their day with you, 40 tops lol.  Then lunch is usually with associates.

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 07:09:23 PM »
Depends on the firm, I've had a 5 hour interview before and also a lunch that involved 4 partners. On the other hand, I've had a 20-minute interview that only involved the hiring partner and a few associates (smaller firm though). I would expect a v-100 firm to be closer to the former situation than the latter.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 07:13:01 PM »
Yeah, but $5k is absurd lol.  Each partner spends about 20 minutes of their day with you, 40 tops lol.  Then lunch is usually with associates.

My post-call back lunches were always with one partner and one associate, and lunch was usually at least an hour, often longer w/ travel time.

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 07:15:32 PM »
Ah yes, they also pay for travel expenses.

Anyways, point is, take it seriously.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 07:30:07 PM »
Jacy, lunch with partner or not, $5k is not what an interview day costs in billables.  That is just absurd.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 07:36:15 PM »
2LMan, I never said it was $5k - I only said that I've never had a callback lunch with just associates.