Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Job offer but pay is low...should I counter?  (Read 10801 times)

afer1500

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alexfiu1331
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Job offer but pay is low...should I counter?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2008, 09:21:13 PM »
I disagree Peaches. But fair enough. I'm going to do what I think is best that'll be that. Good luck the rest of the semester.

You're trying to mislead a lot of people. Regardless of whether you're doing what you want or not, you're working a job that you likely could have gotten out of high school.

It's like getting a masters degree specifically to work at Starbucks; sure, you can do it, but you would be very overqualified.

I disagree but either way its ok. I don't mind. Education is a good thing.

NATUREBOY

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2008, 09:25:40 PM »
I was offered a job in a city about 35-45 minutes away. Small firm, salary is 10 per hour. I'll be taking over for the paralegal (and his duties) all summer long (leaving to take the bar)he does all the paperwork for immigration, juvenile court, etc. I'll also be translating at court on certain days, and some other clerk work. They've offered 10 dollars per hour w/ a review at 90 days for a possible raise. The owner guaranteed position when I graduate and pass the bar (salary unknown). I'll also have work on a p/t basis during the fall of next year and whenever I'm free. I'm top 25% at T4. The salary is imo insanely low and I'm wondering if I should counter, further is it appropriate to make a counter offer at this stage in the game. I think I'm probably the top candidate from either of the two schools near the firm because I can speak and write in Spanish which is the firms main clientèle and really no one in these area seems to speak or write spanish. Advice appreciated.
Let me comment on something I think everybody else missed.  You are not taking the bar, right?  The paralegal is, correct?  You are a 1L, right?  OK, then.  Let me give you my standard advice regarding summer jobs.  Unless you get an offer from one of these big firms paying you $2k a week or something comparable, at least for your first summer, you should just go to summer school.  Get ahead in your hours.  Try to graduate a semester early.  Whether your attend summer school or take a $10/hour job will have ZERO bearing on your interviews as a 2L.  Trust me!  A lot of people here will say I'm full of *&^%, and I myself would had told you the exact opposite of what I'm telling you now when I was a 1L, but it's true!  2L OCI is all about grades, grades, grades.  What you did the summer before is just something to talk about during the interview.  If you choose NOT to believe me, do so at your own risk.  I don't care.  I'm going to get totally scoffed at for even posting this.  I don't care; in my experience it's the truth. 

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2008, 09:30:49 PM »

I still want to make a counter just because I know that a few of the positions I have lined up pay atleast 12-15 per hour and I think one of those will pan out.

After hearing all the wisdom of your peers, I still think that is the right move.  I think it can be done with tact.  And, I think it can be done without conditioning acceptance of employment on the add'l $5/hr.  That is, "I accept, but how do you feel about $15/hr."  They may counter w/ $12/hr, in which case you are better off. 

From the firm's perspective: 
Paying you $15 is still a deal over the prior paralegal, especially if they are investing in your future, and acquiring someone w/your Spanish skills.

You think $15 is a deal for the firm to get a T4 grad when there are countless other T2,3,4 people without jobs? Even in this thread, people are complaining that they are either finding no work or taking unpaid things.

Honestly, I think if OP asks for a 50% raise, they will shoot him down.

That would be like me calling the firm I'm going to be working for this summer and telling them that $2,600/week isn't enough, I need $3,900 or else! Preposterous.

I don't really look at it like that at all. I look at it like this:

I'm a motived person w/ a BA capable of taking over for someone in a market that doesn't have many Spanish speakers. Being from a T4 doesn't matter to this firm, they respect my law school. This isn't about prestige its about doing what is right for your self. There are too many people in this forum who just undervalue themselves and that lack of confidence is precisely what is hurting them in interviews.

If you go into thinking you are only worth 10 dollars per hour you'll end up getting paid 5.50 or not get a job at all. Everyone in Law School is successful, they've completed a degree. They can ride and write well, these are  not marginal people, HAVE SOME PRIDE FOR GODS SAKE! 10 bones an hour is a joke to offer a college graduate.

It's called paying your dues; it's certainly not a joke.  Sometimes you need to take a job that doesn't pay or pay well so you can put yourself into a better position in the future.  You seem to have a sense of entitlement because you graduated college and go to law school.  No offense, and I'm not trying to insult those going to T4 schools, but you do go to a poor school.  Take what you can get, work your ass off, and then you can receive some entitlement.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2008, 09:31:15 PM »
Hell yes! Those T4's that think they are such "hot sh-t," I mean come on!  So, obnoxious, right?

Only thing worse are those people that will never love anyone more than themselves.  Peaches, I bet you can't help but make out with a mirror - irresistible!  mmmmm-tongue-mmmm smoochy smoochy mmmmm - peachy i luv u - mmmmm

Are you adding anything to the discussion? 

Nothing on the fourth tier, but it's objectively harder to get a high-paying job (or any decent paying legal job at all) out of the fourth tier because their graduates are objectively less desirable.  One of my parents graduated from a fourth tier law school and barely broke even for the first two years out.  Now moderately successful, but it 25 years to make it.  Chances are, if you start at the fourth tier you'll be working your way up, and getting legal experience at $10/hour for a summer with a potential job after graduation sounds like an OK way to start. 

It's not self-love... it's reality. Do you think the OP is freaking fantastic with a BA, a fourth tier law school, and Spanish?  Wow, what a killer combination!

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2008, 09:33:34 PM »
Agree with McLovin on paying your dues.  Going to a top school or getting top grades allows you to skip a few rungs on the ladder, but other attorneys become successful by paying their dues.

afer1500

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2008, 09:39:46 PM »
Hell yes! Those T4's that think they are such "hot sh-t," I mean come on!  So, obnoxious, right?

Only thing worse are those people that will never love anyone more than themselves.  Peaches, I bet you can't help but make out with a mirror - irresistible!  mmmmm-tongue-mmmm smoochy smoochy mmmmm - peachy i luv u - mmmmm

Are you adding anything to the discussion? 

Nothing on the fourth tier, but it's objectively harder to get a high-paying job (or any decent paying legal job at all) out of the fourth tier because their graduates are objectively less desirable.  One of my parents graduated from a fourth tier law school and barely broke even for the first two years out.  Now moderately successful, but it 25 years to make it.  Chances are, if you start at the fourth tier you'll be working your way up, and getting legal experience at $10/hour for a summer with a potential job after graduation sounds like an OK way to start. 

It's not self-love... it's reality. Do you think the OP is freaking fantastic with a BA, a fourth tier law school, and Spanish?  Wow, what a killer combination!

It is a killer combo...

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2008, 09:52:55 PM »
Just believe in yourself and the jobs will come to you!  :)

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2008, 10:33:48 PM »
Wow, bitter much? 

Just checked out your posts.  You sound like you're doing really well!  Maybe I should follow your advice and study 8+ hours a day so that I can make $15 an hour!  That will show them what I'm really worth!  I'm sure I'll blow away the competition, with my bachelor's degree, Spanish language skills, and misguided confidence. :)

afer1500

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2008, 11:07:03 PM »
Wow, bitter much? 

Just checked out your posts.  You sound like you're doing really well!  Maybe I should follow your advice and study 8+ hours a day so that I can make $15 an hour!  That will show them what I'm really worth!  I'm sure I'll blow away the competition, with my bachelor's degree, Spanish language skills, and misguided confidence. :)

I'm sorry that you have some flaw that makes you need to try and insult others to feel better about yourself. Good luck trying to fill w/e hole it is you have in your heart or soul. I really hope money and a degree from Harvard or Yale fills that emptiness.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2008, 11:34:41 PM »
Realism shouldn't be insulting.

And in case you didn't read the thread, Sir_Scott started with the personal insults.