Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Job offer but pay is low...should I counter?  (Read 10292 times)

afer1500

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alexfiu1331
    • View Profile
    • Email
Job offer but pay is low...should I counter?
« on: March 04, 2008, 04:04:57 PM »
I was offered a job in a city about 35-45 minutes away. Small firm, salary is 10 per hour. I'll be taking over for the paralegal (and his duties) all summer long (leaving to take the bar)he does all the paperwork for immigration, juvenile court, etc. I'll also be translating at court on certain days, and some other clerk work. They've offered 10 dollars per hour w/ a review at 90 days for a possible raise. The owner guaranteed position when I graduate and pass the bar (salary unknown). I'll also have work on a p/t basis during the fall of next year and whenever I'm free. I'm top 25% at T4. The salary is imo insanely low and I'm wondering if I should counter, further is it appropriate to make a counter offer at this stage in the game. I think I'm probably the top candidate from either of the two schools near the firm because I can speak and write in Spanish which is the firms main clientèle and really no one in these area seems to speak or write spanish. Advice appreciated.

GA-fan

Re: Job offer but pay is low...should I counter?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 04:20:49 PM »
Take it. You've got a paying job this summer, which most of your classmates would kill for. Since it's march, and you don't have any other options coming in, just take teh chance on low money to get your foot in the door. You'll be thanking yourself that you did when lots of your classmates come up empty-handed and you have an automatic job offer at graduation.

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 04:21:37 PM »
I'm sorry.  You go to a T4, and you're complaining that you're only going to make 10/hr at a firm?  This is such a ridiculous post.  Most of your classmates won't be making anything.  In fact, many 2L's don't make anything.  You are lucky to have received such an offer especially since you go to a T4 school.  Honestly, quit whining.

sir_scott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 04:32:21 PM »
Ask for $15/hr.  But don't make it threatening. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 04:39:09 PM »
I agree with most of the other posters - I wouldn't be complaining about $10/hr, especially if you have nothing else on the table and are about to graduate law school from a T4.

I would, however, seek to discuss the terms of employment of this guaranteed offer after you pass the bar.  What you make in the interim taking over for the paralegal is almost irrelevant compared to what they'll be offering you once you're licensed to practice.

afer1500

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 04:58:49 PM »
I appreciate the advice. I'm going to ask for more. I'll probably pass on the position unless they accept 15 P/H. I'd rather not work this summer and just take classes if it means I will only be banking 10 per hour. I don't subscribe the school of thought that t4 = poverty. Recent study came out that had the T4 I attend in the top half of earnings 9 months after graduation. Take that for what its worth. We'll see what happens tomorrow I'll email the gentleman tonight.

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 05:02:15 PM »
I appreciate the advice. I'm going to ask for more. I'll probably pass on the position unless they accept 15 P/H. I'd rather not work this summer and just take classes if it means I will only be banking 10 per hour. I don't subscribe the school of thought that t4 = poverty. Recent study came out that had the T4 I attend in the top half of earnings 9 months after graduation. Take that for what its worth. We'll see what happens tomorrow I'll email the gentleman tonight.

Way to delete your original post in which you wondered how 2L's could not find a job.

A recent study?  Which one would that be?  Have all the students reported their salaries or only the ones at well paying jobs.  Honestly, you're lucky to have found a paying job your 1L summer. 

afer1500

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 05:08:48 PM »
I deleted the post because its not getting across my point. Not sure how the study was done but I don't have any reason to doubt the numbers. 63k per year after graduation. I agree maybe it was only the student with well paying jobs. What is your experience(s) w/ the system? Are you a recent graduate? Do you go to law school? grad school?

I'm willing to listen to you but tell my why I should? What is you expertise in this field? How do you know a person in my situation is lucky to have been offered a position?

I'll hang up and listen, Mclovin.

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 05:13:56 PM »
I deleted the post because its not getting across my point. Not sure how the study was done but I don't have any reason to doubt the numbers. 63k per year after graduation. I agree maybe it was only the student with well paying jobs. What is your experience(s) w/ the system? Are you a recent graduate? Do you go to law school? grad school?

I'm willing to listen to you but tell my why I should? What is you expertise in this field? How do you know a person in my situation is lucky to have been offered a position?

I'll hang up and listen, Mclovin.

Dude, we're on a law school discussion board; of course I go to law school.

Also, trust me, the averae grad coming out of a T4 is not making 63K.  Anyone on this board will back me up.

My experience comes from my own 2L job search and those of my friends.  Many of my friends (I go to a high T2), who are in the top 25% and are on journals/moot court do NOT have jobs yet, let along paying jobs.  Look around on this board!  In a previous post, in the "still don't have a job thread" there was someone here who was Top 5% at a T2 and on Law Review, who can not find a job.  The job market sucks, and you need to take what you can get.

Furthermore, in my situation, I sent out numerous resumes, probably around 50-60 and did not get ONE interview or call back.  I also networked my ass off to get a public interest internship that DOES NOT pay.  This experience is shared by a lot of other people.   

This from a poster on the general board:

"Graduated from a bottom top tier school.  Top 10%, multiple book/cali awards, worked at law firm througout 2L; judicial extern at state appellate court.  Not law review.  Moved out of my school's state and region for Chicago.  Now I can't get anyone to reply to applications.  Any suggestions besides flames?"

From another poster:

"Try as I may, I've been unable to secure a summer job. I'm a second year law student at a T2 school, am in the top 10% of my class, won school's moot court competition, and am on the moot court board. Is it too late to get a paid summer associate position? Should I continue to send my resume out to firms??  Any comments or advice would be very much appreciated.   Thank you."

starter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 05:28:10 PM »
I'm in the top half of my law school at a T1 (30-40 range) and made 10/hr last year, during my 2L summer.  I worked for a solo back in my hometown and it was the only offer I had to do any legal work.  If I were you, I'd take the job and not even ask for more money.  You don't want to sound like you have a sense of entitlement. 

Summer school is a waste of time, in my opinion.  You need to do something to show that you are gaining some kind of practical legal experience.  Why would you pass on money, even if it is 10/hr to take a few hours of summer school and not make anything or get some experience?