Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Federal Judge internship vs. Law firm (Summer Job 1L)?  (Read 11622 times)

crumbbum

Re: Federal Judge internship vs. Law firm (Summer Job 1L)?
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 05:36:55 PM »
"And it's great advice to avoid places that don't have enough offers to go around (that shows a whole bunch of negative traits that you want to avoid). However, you don't always know which places are like that until it's too late."

Isn't "not knowing until it's too late" a reason to split summers, rather than risk being at one of those places.  Not to be an a-hole, but I've read your site and the advice on their is questionable... where do you get your authority from? (i mean that in a nice, non-inflammatory way.... I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about, but i'd like to know where this knowledge comes from)

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 06:18:45 PM »
Crumbbum has a point. Plus, you could always discover that you just dislike the other people you work with.  Or the practice area.  Or the geographic area. 

LawSchoolStrategies.com

• View Profile
    • Law School Strategies.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 06:35:22 PM »
Crumbbum,

There is no "right answer" when it comes to law school advice. Before I went to law school, I devoured every book and read every website dedicated to law school strategies. But I found out the hard way that, at least for me, the conventional wisdom was all wrong. The site and my e-book describe the strategies that I used, and I've seen other successful law students use, to get excellent grades in law school. My authority, therefore, is my own experience going from mediocre law student in my first semester to successful law student in a relatively short amount of time at one of the best law schools in the country. Further, this enabled me to land a prestigious job at one of the nation's top law firms where I currently practice.

I don't have any double-blind studies to cite to, just my own opinion. And that may be helpful for some, and completely useless to others. I hope it's more often helpful than not.

Again, there are no right or wrong answers when it comes to succeeding in law school. But I would love to discuss any part of my website that you disagree with. I think a conversation about any strategy or advice will only educate people further and present them with different options.
www.LawSchoolStrategies.com
Visit us for strategies and advice on succeeding in law school.

KC#11

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 07:00:11 PM »
Tag. I'm splitting 1L summer between a firm and a fed. judge. I'll be sure to tell you how horrible my choice was in September.  :P
Potential is just a word for something you haven't done yet.

AnneBoleyn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 12:37:32 AM »
If you have a big money prestigious job, then why do you care about earning a few bucks from an e-book and posting online.  It seems like the value of billable hours v posting online and hoping someone buys your e-book hours isn't favorable on balance.

LawSchoolStrategies.com

• View Profile
    • Law School Strategies.com
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 12:54:48 AM »
It's totally not favorable, except for the fact that I enjoy doing this. I like thinking about my law school experience and the strategies that enabled me to do well. And I enjoy running a blog and trying to sell an e-book. I spent a ridiculous amount of time creating and writing the blog and e-book. It's something I enjoy doing in my free time. And hey, I might be able to help somebody do better in law school, which would be nice. And I've always been interesting in e-commerce, so trying to get experience in that as well. But you are absolutely right I would be way better off financially billing more hours and hitting the next bonus level. WAY better.
www.LawSchoolStrategies.com
Visit us for strategies and advice on succeeding in law school.