Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: rant  (Read 2799 times)

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
rant
« on: February 29, 2008, 10:53:23 PM »
Ok, I'm completely stressed this semester. Not only am I falling behind in my class reading and unable to actually do briefs because of time constraints, but I have no idea how I'm going to deal with the fact that I have a final (for a course that lasted one year) in two weeks AND a brief due the day before that final. I'm nowhere near done with my outline, and I have no idea where to start with this brief.  :'( :'( :'( It just makes me want to go to sleep and do nothing. Siiigh.

FreddyPharkas

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: rant
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 01:33:23 AM »
Ok, I'm completely stressed this semester. Not only am I falling behind in my class reading and unable to actually do briefs because of time constraints, but I have no idea how I'm going to deal with the fact that I have a final (for a course that lasted one year) in two weeks AND a brief due the day before that final. I'm nowhere near done with my outline, and I have no idea where to start with this brief.  :'( :'( :'( It just makes me want to go to sleep and do nothing. Siiigh.

Wouldn't it be better to stay on top of it instead of posting about it on the internet? I have yet to meet anyone through law school that has ever been as stressed as you seem to be.

Then again, those are probably the people putting in the time to get things done and not whining about it in person or on the internet.

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 08:29:29 AM »
I guess at the end of the day, when I need to go to sleep and don't have time left IN the day to do anything else, I post on here since I figure most people will understand. Most.

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 12:45:08 PM »
IMO...

Exam: Focus on practice exams and working out problems (e.g. in an E&E) rather than outlining at this point.  You will learn a lot by getting things wrong and missing issues on practice exams.

Brief: Set deadlines to meet before the paper is due!  Get it done this week.  It doesn't matter if it is crap, you can always revise it in the week you have left.  Spend 20 mins to do a research plan then get to the library and bust out some secondary sources to find some cites to authority.

Don't get wrapped up in a self-defeating attitude because it will mess you up.

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 12:52:27 PM »
Thank you, res... I've gotten a chunk of my outline done today. Going to make some copies of the practice exams today at school. I'm actually probably not going to do any until the weekend before the exam (exam is on a Friday), and the few reading days before it.

Going to do brief research today also.

And I'll just need to catch up on any reading I fall behind on during spring break!

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 01:06:28 PM »
Thank you, res... I've gotten a chunk of my outline done today. Going to make some copies of the practice exams today at school. I'm actually probably not going to do any until the weekend before the exam (exam is on a Friday), and the few reading days before it.

Going to do brief research today also.

You are crazy.  Who outlines in March?  1L's lol...........  Crazy 1L's haa.

And I'll just need to catch up on any reading I fall behind on during spring break!

LawSchoolStrategies.com

• View Profile
    • Law School Strategies.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 01:03:17 AM »
1Lchica,

Law school is tough, no doubt. Although you posted this last week, and thus presumably your crisis is over, in these types of situations, there is one word that sums up how you should approach everything you need to do: Triage. That's the concept employed by emergency rooms wherein the sickest people are seen first. For example, in your situation, I would recommend that you write the best brief that you can within a short timeframe. Let's say several hours. That was probably for your legal practice class, and most schools don't give you a letter grade in that class. I'm not saying you should blow it off, in fact I belive it's the most important class in law school, but grades are the most important thing right now, especially for a 1L. So do what you can, and move on.

Then I would quickly read through your class material or maybe even ask a friend for their notes on the cases. You can read these cases later when you prepare for your final. I would then use all your remaining time to study for your final. Create your outlines and slam this one out of the park. When it's done, you can focus on the other things that you've fallen behind on.

And ignore the first poster to reply, apparently he hasn't talked to many people in law school because everybody has gotten this stressed at one point or another (or at many different points). It's part of the process...

Good luck!
www.LawSchoolStrategies.com
Visit us for strategies and advice on succeeding in law school.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 10:11:09 AM »
Good advice.

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 08:12:29 PM »
If it wasn't for the fricking legal writing class, first year would be easy. If only... :'(

Sorry, writing my appellate brief right now, I think outlining would be a really nice break.

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 08:31:32 PM »
If it wasn't for the fricking legal writing class, first year would be easy. If only... :'(

Sorry, writing my appellate brief right now, I think outlining would be a really nice break.

Dude, I understand. When I worked on my app brief, I longed to outline, LOL... Yes, it would be so much better without that stupid class.