Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Clerkship Opportunites  (Read 2812 times)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Clerkship Opportunites
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 09:29:25 AM »
hey Vap, thanks for the advice.  I will definitely shoot you a message if I decide to try the federal claims court.  I may, if I can work it into my schedule, try a judicial internship.  I feel like a clinic would be very time consuming and wouldnt allow the opportunity to do both that and an internship.

T2Loser

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 04:22:19 PM »
I think COA is out of the question & district would be tough. Your rank is good enough for district, but the lack of a journal will really rub some judges the wrong way. Since you are at a respectable school and doing well, the fact that you didn't do a journal shows an element of lazyness. You could clearly get a journal spot, but it seems like you just didn't care enough. I'm not putting you down, I'm just saying how it is going to look.

You might have shots at specialty courts, but you are going to need to network. You are lacking a journal & publication, so that works against you. But your GPA & school are solid enough. See if you have professors that like you enough to make calls on your behalf.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 05:56:34 PM »
I think COA is out of the question & district would be tough. Your rank is good enough for district, but the lack of a journal will really rub some judges the wrong way. Since you are at a respectable school and doing well, the fact that you didn't do a journal shows an element of lazyness. You could clearly get a journal spot, but it seems like you just didn't care enough. I'm not putting you down, I'm just saying how it is going to look.

You might have shots at specialty courts, but you are going to need to network. You are lacking a journal & publication, so that works against you. But your GPA & school are solid enough. See if you have professors that like you enough to make calls on your behalf.

I didnt do a journal because none of them would let me on.  My school doesnt have a grade-on option, and, despite the effort I put into the write-on competition, it wasnt what they were looking for.  I am far from lazy though.

That being said, I definitely agree that COA is about of the picture, but still might try anyway (there is one judge that I would really like the opportunity to work with).  Ill have to see about getting professors to make calls for me on the district level but dont think I will apply to the specialty courts.

blah, the thought of going through the application process again, after just finishing oci, is stressful.