Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 4th semester grades for clerkship apps  (Read 655 times)

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
4th semester grades for clerkship apps
« on: February 27, 2008, 11:44:47 PM »
When applying for federal clerkships are the applications generally due before 4th semester grades come out (late June) or after? 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: 4th semester grades for clerkship apps
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 07:13:16 AM »
Fed clerkship apps are typically due in the early fall of your 3L year.  So your grades for 2L all count.  There are judges that hire off the fed timeline though, so you may have to apply earlier (mid summer, for the most part) for some judges.  Others, if you apply early, will toss your app and/or just not consider it until the "official" hiring time comes around.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 08:39:24 AM »
Yeah, unfortunately, there is no established list of what each judge wants and when that judge will make hiring decisions.  The only way to know is to call chambers (now) and ask when the judge typical reviews applications and what that judge wants to see in the application materials.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 06:26:54 PM »
Generally, if they are on OSCAR, they will take the applications on a specific date. I did it last year, and I think the date is around the beginning of October. They will then contact applicants a week or two later. I can't remember the date, but I got a call from one judge literally 5 minutes after they could begin contacting students.

That being said, not all judges follow OSCAR. Some have their own time table. If the judge is on OSCAR, then they will likely follow it. However, if they're not then they will probably take it ahead of your 4th semester grades. Be advised that if the judge is on OSCAR, then you need to make sure you have all your apps in on the date that its due. You don't want to miss out.

If you don't see a judge on OSCAR, and you're interested in them, I suggest you call their chambers and ask about what their process is.