Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Big Law from UT  (Read 1417 times)

salamyen

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Salamyenew
    • View Profile
    • Email
Big Law from UT
« on: February 27, 2008, 07:04:50 PM »
Just curious what people think is required to get a 2L Los Angeles Big Law job from UT. I have great grades however, my girlfriend's grades arn't as good. She is has a 3.39, which is slightly above the top 50%, and we both want big law.

KC#11

• View Profile
Re: Big Law from UT
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 10:11:10 PM »
I think 3.39 is better than you think...probably close to top 1/3 (it is at my similarly ranked school, anyway). In any event, I think she'll be fine though it won't come as easy as it may to you.
Potential is just a word for something you haven't done yet.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 10:51:03 PM »
yea, i am also at a similarly ranked school and the curve is 3.2 so a 3.39 is at least top 35% here.  However, you guys may not have the grade break downs.  Anyway, I think she may have a decent shot.  Or, at least, her chances arent terrible.  I would suggest to her that she start emailing alumni from UT at firms in LA and just asking for general advice (prepping for OCI, anything she can do to make herself more desirable, how they felt the transition was to LA, what classes they would recommend because they enjoyed a lot, anything like that).  I mean, if she starts now, she can have a few contacts just to drop a word with later on and say hey i talked to you before and decided to apply here.  I think that some early preparation might help her out a little in the process.

plus, she can get a better boyfriend :) someone that helps her study a little more.  jk.

captainsalad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 01:06:30 PM »
UT is very grade-inflated. 3.3 is median. 3.5ish top 25%.

yumyum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 06:49:49 PM »
UT is very grade-inflated. 3.3 is median. 3.5ish top 25%.

Captain salad...from your experience there. Are people getting TX biglaw in Houston or Dallas at the median at UT or do you have to be in the top 1/3 or top 1/4???