Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone else still jobless?  (Read 6230 times)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
anyone else still jobless?
« on: February 27, 2008, 09:44:01 AM »
I'm trying to figure out where else I can apply for a 1L summer job. I have about 80 apps out. One interview so far, which didn't pan out (they hired a 2L). 99% of the rejections have expressed interest in my reapplying as a 2L, which gives me hope that it's not me (I have good grades and a past life in a non-legal profession). However, the fact remains that I am still jobless.

I have excluded markets and jobs I know I would not be interested in. (Regions where I would not be happy living and niches of law I have no interest in. As a nontrad, I came back to school with a general area of law in mind, so I'm not going to pursue environmental law internships if my interest lies in antitrust.)  I have applied for both paid and unpaid positions with law firms large and small, government jobs, ABA internships, etc.

Thoughts? Anyone else running into this problem? It seems the only people who have jobs lined up who are 1Ls have those jobs because of personal connections or they were engineers (IP/patent opportunities are hot) before coming to law school. I don't begrudge these students their opportunities -- just a trend I have noticed.

Will work for free!  ;D I am seeking suggestions (and giving others a forum to vent if you're running into this wall, too.) I am not interested in studying abroad. I'd rather visit Europe when I can be there to play.
Vanderbilt 2010

anxiety

• View Profile
Re: anyone else still jobless?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 12:31:22 PM »
I am in a very similar situation. I sent out about 75-80 applications around 12/20 and have heard back from roughly half. I've had 5 interviews, 1 offer, and 3 "call us in March and we'll talk again", and 1 semi-offer which I am holding out for because I want that job.

I was just wondering what people's thoughts were as to the 35-40 places which I have not heard back from yet. Is it equally as rude of me to call after 2 months to wonder why they've been so rude not to reply? Any advice on that would be great. :)
Disgruntled 3L

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 01:02:41 PM »
rude? no.  if you're still looking for a job, make contact and let you know you're still very interested.  Treat the situation as if your 1L summer depended on it, which it most likely does ;)

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 01:42:24 PM »
I am top 10% at a third-tier with a handful of interviews but no offer yet.  Let me just say that I don't know of anyone at this school with an offer yet -- the American economy is not in a good way and the legal economy is no exception.

I would start focusing (as I have) on the unpaid opportunities -- public interest, District Attorney and Public Defender offices.  The only interviews I have for paid work are through public interest fellowships -- I'm a long-shot at those, and a no-shot at private paid work.  Here's hoping for 2008's transfer cycle.

As to whether calling/e-mailing again is 'rude,' it takes some guts but not rude.  The best case is 'oh, we'll look at you again!'  The worst case is 'we aren't going to look at you anyway.'  Nothing to lose.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

sternerstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 03:26:54 PM »
--I've heard a lot of that kind of thing from 1Ls Im friends with in the nyc area, and oddly enough a decent amount of people who havent applied anywhere yet......I'm in a similar situation with only 2 interviews on the horizon,-- how do interns

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 04:32:03 PM »
As a nontrad, I came back to school with a general area of law in mind, so I'm not going to pursue environmental law internships if my interest lies in antitrust.) 

In a perfect world, you'd get a great internship doing antitrust law.  Unfortunately, its not a perfect world.  Don't limit yourself to one practice area.  It's awesome that you know that it's what you want, but you're better off doing something for the summer and learning whatever you can from it than doing nothing at all b/c you didn't get the area of law you were looking for.

Have you tried applying to judges, both local and federal?

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 05:45:15 PM »
The really qualified 1Ls I know who don't have jobs tend to have very specific interests... 

Because 1L internships are less common and often less structured, you'd probably  benefit from considering other alternatives.  Aren't there ANY other areas of law you're interested in?  (I listed 2-3 practice groups on every cover letter.)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 07:40:26 PM »
I've applied all across the board in anything involving business law, corporate law, communications law, antitrust, etc. with paid and unpaid jobs. Where can I get more information on judges? I have applied for clerkships with about 10 judges in my region, but I really want to ramp up my efforts.

Thanks all for the advice. Keep it coming.
Vanderbilt 2010

vaplaugh

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 08:23:59 PM »
I've applied all across the board in anything involving business law, corporate law, communications law, antitrust, etc. with paid and unpaid jobs. Where can I get more information on judges? I have applied for clerkships with about 10 judges in my region, but I really want to ramp up my efforts.

Thanks all for the advice. Keep it coming.

Check your state's website.  Just google "mystate" and "judiciary."

For federal, go to the court websites.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 10:43:43 PM »
Every 1L I know ... except for I think 3 (and 2 of them are doing out-of-the country human rights things) are jobless right now ... we have plenty of time.  Lots of firms/places haven't even started hiring yet.  The career people keep sending out new places every day.  Some of us are just picky on location or type (for me - location).

I don't understand the whole "applying to TONS" of places.  I just started applying a little over a week ago ... 5 places so far, and I've had 2 interview offers.

Of course, I'm not banking on it, but I will be applying to more places/opportunities each week probably.

Why are people saying they apply to 100-200 places and get no offers? o.0