Law School Discussion

1L Mock Trial Comp

1L Mock Trial Comp
« on: February 25, 2008, 09:40:41 AM »
Some schools have 1L Mock Trial Competitions, how helpful to the transfer process would placing well in such a contest be? Would the time be better spent studying to do well on final exams? Thanks.

Re: 1L Mock Trial Comp
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 11:32:32 AM »
Your grades are more important than anything else -- by a wide margin.  I'm sure placing well would look good, but you absolutely should not focus on the competition to the detriment of your exam performance.

craven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 12:31:21 PM »
seconded

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 12:47:10 PM »
Some schools have 1L Mock Trial Competitions, how helpful to the transfer process would placing well in such a contest be? Would the time be better spent studying to do well on final exams? Thanks.

I dont see how the couple of hours required for mock trial would take away in any sufficient way from your studying for finals.  I think that mock trial, moot court, etc are valuable learning experiences apart from simply making it on to any boards or doing well.  I doubt the little extra time will make a difference.  I would suggest skipping the bar one night to study for exams and spending some free time working on the mock trial competition.

I competed in 5 competitions my 1L year, got a lot of ass, got drunk way too much, and ended up in the top 20%.  This was at a great school and on top of the fact that I am in no way intelligent when compared to my peers.

Start working on those time management skills now :)