Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 5 months until OCI  (Read 1422 times)

sternerstuff

• View Profile
5 months until OCI
« on: February 24, 2008, 11:56:28 PM »
Hey everyone,
Im a 1L so Ive been focusing on grades obviously, but I want to put myself in as good a position for biglaw come OCI in the fall.  I plan on doing an internship with a judge this summer, and a for credit externship with hopefully a fed or app. judge in the fall.  Tips/suggestions to boost the resume and land a sweet biglaw interview?--how do recruiters look on judicial internships vs working for a firm, also worth doing two judge internships?
--Im hoping its not ALL grades that determine who gets the interview, im looking at 20-25% @ T3 in nyc.--
any words of or points of view on the above would be a help,

MrBrett1117

• View Profile
Re: 5 months until OCI
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 08:46:27 AM »
Based on my experience, grades are what determines whether you get OCI.  20-25% might get a few interviews, but you should focus on trying to get up to top 10-15%.

Felsen

• View Profile
Re: 5 months until OCI
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 06:14:17 PM »
Over this summer, participate in the legal job fairs aimed at students.  The firms will hire a few students through these programs.  You may be able to go through the process before they even start looking at students through OCI.  If things don't work out with the firms you liked, you can still apply with them again during Fall OCI and get them to look at you again.  You get two chances at them, and if they don't like you, they just tell you no twice.

That doesn't help with the resume, but does increase the chances of getting seen by the person who likes you.  For resume, it'll be grades, law review, etc.