Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Working during academic year.  (Read 4677 times)

mutual_biscuit

• View Profile
Working during academic year.
« on: February 24, 2008, 03:14:39 PM »
I got a fairly sweet job offer for my 1L summer, pay is good and good experience. There is a catch however and it requires a yearlong commitment with 12-18 hours of work during the academic year. Does anyone out there have experience working these kinds of hours during the school year? I'm particularly worried because I'm planning on joining a journal and I don't want this to negatively influence my grades or ability to participate in law review.

Averaging 15 hours a week seems like it would be a real pain in the ass and I'd have to select classes for next year that work around a schedule, rather than selecting classes that I'm interested in. The extra cash flow during the school year would be nice, but I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Any advice? 

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Working during academic year.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 03:33:14 PM »
I think you'll be fine.  I'm sure you've heard the saying:  "1L they scare you to death, 2L they work you to death, and 3L they bore you to death." 

Seems like most 2Ls are working part time (I intern about 15 hours a week) and participating in all sorts of activities.  If you do OCI, that will also be a major time committment.  Bottom line - 2L is a busy year, but you can manage 12-18 hours a week. 

A couple of ideas that might help: 
1.  Consider taking a class this summer (in the evening) to help lighten the load a bit your 2L year.
2.  Talk to your future employer about some relief during finals.  I think you will find it beneficial to have a few weeks off during reading and finals weeks.
2L

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 04:04:59 PM »
I'm a 2L on LR and would be screwed if I had to go to a job where I worked 15 hours a week. But my study habits are horrible so maybe if you can manage your time well, it wouldn't be such a big deal. I know a few people who have part-time jobs but none of them are on LR.

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 04:07:48 PM »
I will be doing this as well, going to even try and hit 30 hours so I can get full benefits. Definitely not expected to work right before or during finals though. I think evening classes are pretty much the only way to pull off a significant amount of work hours in a week.

I am not sure I will be doing law review though and, my study style is to just take good notes then blow through all my outlines/study questions the last couple weeks. Had to do the same thing in undergrad with classes that were, to be frank, more difficult than law school classes are (excluding legal writing, can't wait for that GD class to be over with, I am not starting work until my final paper is done in that class).

Norlan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 07:40:11 AM »
what kind of job is that?

LawstCause

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 10:28:31 AM »
I worked up to 20 hours throughout my 2L and it was not a problem.  Also, I know that at my school it was a rule ( and ABA rule?) that full time students could not work more than 20 hours during the semester. 

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 10:18:23 AM »
It is an ABA rule that you can't work more than 20 hours and go to school full time. If you go PT, it isn't an issue. Also, some schools have even more stringent rules than the ABA's, so you'll want to make sure you're not violating them.

uh huh.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 11:31:23 AM »
I did not work during 1L or 2L, but I worked up to 40 hours per week during 3L, and it made me wish I had worked like that throughout law school. I managed my time better, AND I got the highest GPA of my LIFE. Be efficient and organized with your time, and you'll be just fine.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
I was a PT student my first year and worked. (Although PT at GULC just means one less class- it's still 12 hrs)

I would never ever do that again. I was pretty much a walking zombie the whole year, addicted to coffee, etc. 1L year is bad enough without work to worry about. Perhaps it would be more sane 3L year.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 09:52:07 PM »
I'm back, after working 30 hours/week during the latter part of 1L and half of 2L, I would definitely not recommend working during 1L. It sucked. The reason it is easier during 2L and even easier during 3L, is because you have less required classes or none at all. Required classes tend to require more work and have heavier curves. Additionally, you can't control your schedule at all during 1L, which makes it significantly harder.

To anyone considering working during 1L, do not do it, wait to start working until your 1L summer.