Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Newb Question about 1L Summer Pay  (Read 5224 times)

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Newb Question about 1L Summer Pay
« on: February 23, 2008, 12:42:17 AM »
I feel like a newb again, so don't pwn me for this question.

How much do 1L summer jobs pay? How long do they employ for? And what type of work do the firms hire a 1L for?

Let's assume that the 1L student is in the middle of his class at a T14 like Cornell or Michigan.

Discuss.
_______
.|E|R|S.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Newb Question about 1L Summer Pay
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 12:44:45 AM »
If you get hired it will be the normal biglaw 2L summer associate salary.

Though, if you have to ask, my guess is you aren't getting one of these jobs.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 01:56:40 AM »
If you get hired it will be the normal biglaw 2L summer associate salary.

Though, if you have to ask, my guess is you aren't getting one of these jobs.

according to NALP, some firms underpay 1L SA's. 

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 02:29:36 AM »
It ranges from you paying them to work there...to $2700/week. Depends on what kind of position it is, your grades/rank/school, cost of living in the area and the generosity of the firm. Quite a large range...and there are lot more of the you paying them to work there types. The majority of law students have trouble even getting a decent 1L summer position that pays.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 02:51:08 AM »
Can also be the full market.  My firm pays everyone the 3080/week market.

KC#11

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 07:33:26 AM »
I feel like a newb again, so don't pwn me for this question.

How much do 1L summer jobs pay? How long do they employ for? And what type of work do the firms hire a 1L for?

Let's assume that the 1L student is in the middle of his class at a T14 like Cornell or Michigan.

Discuss.

You will likely not get a 1L summer associate position in the middle of your class at either of those schools unless you have very good connections to a firm in a secondary market. But otherwise, it just won't happen. As it is, very, very few 1Ls get such jobs and those that get them out of Top 5 schools get them because they have grades that are considerably better than the middle of the class.

Also note that interviews will largely be BEFORE grades come out, so you'll only even get interviewed if your resume so far is impressive. If you do, and you make a good impression you MAY be able to get the job even with median grades.
Potential is just a word for something you haven't done yet.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 11:30:10 AM »
Okay-- so Biglaw 1L SA pays $2,000-$3,000 a week.

What about Mid or Small firms? Would someone in the middle of the class at Michigan or Cornell be able to get a paying job at a smaller firm and what would that pay?

Would there be a difference between Michigan and Cornell for landing a 1L summer job?
_______
.|E|R|S.

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 12:08:47 PM »
I got an offer from a firm with about 25 lawyers in a med sized city and they offered to pay 1600 a week.  I don't know if that is indicative of anything or not though.
Boalt Hall '10

KC#11

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 01:42:58 PM »
Okay-- so Biglaw 1L SA pays $2,000-$3,000 a week.

What about Mid or Small firms? Would someone in the middle of the class at Michigan or Cornell be able to get a paying job at a smaller firm and what would that pay?

Would there be a difference between Michigan and Cornell for landing a 1L summer job?

It will all come down to your resume. If it is good, the fact you're going to a great school will bolster an already-strong chance at getting an interview. If it is not overly impressive, your fall grades will provide you with an opportunity to stand out in the crowd. So it will come down to you, basically -- not your choice of law school.

And if you're interested in the money amounts, look up firms in your desired location on NALP. All of them state what the pay is. It's usually the same for 1Ls and 2Ls though sometimes it varies (NALP will say if there is a difference). The salary seems to generally be what you'd be getting weekly if you were a regular associate. This is how it is at the firm I'm working for, anyway.
Potential is just a word for something you haven't done yet.