Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Big law/1L - when to get a response  (Read 3369 times)

dimrod80

• View Profile
    • Email
Big law/1L - when to get a response
« on: February 21, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
I sent out about 100 resumes over the past month.  Two firms asked for interviews, all within 1 day of receiving my cover letter, resume, transcript.  Other firms have slowly sent rejection letters (I get about 2/day).  As far as the firms that haven't yet responded or acknowledged my application, can I expect that they're rejections as well or do some firms wait awhile before scheduling an interview? 

Burnanator

• View Profile
Re: Big law/1L - when to get a response
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 06:31:02 PM »
It's late in the game. If they didn't show immediate interest, they're probably just taking their sweet time with the rejection letters. I applied to 100+ BIGLAW firms in early January and the rejection letters are STILL rolling in. Most of the recruiters I spoke with said that even early January was too late into the cycle and that they'd already hired to capacity. Honestly, I think the sluggish economy is dampening 1L summer prospects. If it weren't for local OCIs, I wouldn't have any work this summer.

Unless you have an amaing GPA/Resume from a great school, most firms will just tell you to reapply in August.
Wisdom begins in wonder.
            - Socrates

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 10:58:35 PM »
A lot of times 1L capacity can depend on how many 2Ls accepted their offers.  So many firms have fewer or no 1Ls this summer, or only have 1Ls in select locations.

I don't know of anyone getting initial/phone interviews with biglaw now.  Some are still in callbacks, but those are winding down.

dimrod80

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 09:57:49 AM »
I have a great gpa and am in top-15 school, also I have a masters degree, foreign languages and legal work experience.  Didn't help.  Not trying to show off, just writing to show that sometimes all those factors don't help with getting a job.  I should have applied earlier, like the previous poster said, January was too late. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 10:26:43 AM »
I have a great gpa and am in top-15 school, also I have a masters degree, foreign languages and legal work experience.  Didn't help.  Not trying to show off, just writing to show that sometimes all those factors don't help with getting a job.  I should have applied earlier, like the previous poster said, January was too late. 

Top 15?

I dont get why people dont just say texas.  There is top 14, then top 20, etc.

Anyway, I can almost guarantee you wont get an offer at this point.  Its late in the game, Texas' rep isnt great (it isnt a HYS), if you had been in hiring range you would have already gotten an offer from one of you interviews, and the recession sucks and work is slowing down.

That said, I would start applying to other types of jobs. And, your resume will help you a lot during 2L OCI, so dont get down that it contributed very little this time.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 11:59:10 AM »

Top 15?

Anyway, I can almost guarantee you wont get an offer at this point.  Its late in the game, Texas' rep isnt great (it isnt a HYS), if you had been in hiring range their you would have already gotten an offer from one of you interviews, and the recession sucks and work is slowing down.

That said, I would start applying to other types of jobs. And, your resume will help you a lot during 2L OCI, so dont get down that it contributed very little this time.

Also, make sure to get SOME legal experience this summer, even if unpaid.  Otherwise employers are going to say "why didn't you do legal work last summer" when you go through 2L OCI.

PABitz

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 02:25:34 PM »

Top 15?

Anyway, I can almost guarantee you wont get an offer at this point.  Its late in the game, Texas' rep isnt great (it isnt a HYS), if you had been in hiring range you would have already gotten an offer from one of you interviews, and the recession sucks and work is slowing down.

Not to be too snarky, but UCLA is ranked 15th nowadays. Texas is 18th. Same basic story, but UCLA actually plays a little worse in its region than does Texas since the Texas alumni network is somewhat more rabid.
Attending: Y

In: Y, CCN, VDG, UCLA
Out:
WL: H, M

LSAT: 172
UGPA: 3.87
Soft Factors / Essays: Um... apparently better than I originally thought

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 02:43:05 PM »
hmm... didnt realize they made the change. 

uart

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 04:45:30 PM »
I don't know of anyone getting initial/phone interviews with biglaw now.  Some are still in callbacks, but those are winding down.

There is at least one DC biglaw firm interviewing.  ;)