Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boston DA vs. Federal District Court Judge  (Read 1169 times)

CowboyLawyer

• View Profile
Boston DA vs. Federal District Court Judge
« on: February 21, 2008, 12:42:29 PM »
So I was just offered a position working for the Boston DA's office. I was given only a week to decide and figured it would be a good summer job for me. However, I was called up by a Federal District Court Judge for an interview regarding a summer internship. Which would you choose, the DA's job or the position with the Judge? I also took this job over working with the US attorney's office in CT.
Does it make that much of a difference? Which one do you think is the best?
Spaghetti Westerns (Pending): Cornell, Duke,
The Man with No Name (Attending):
The Good(Accepted): BC $$, George Washington $,Notre Dame $,BU, Washington and Lee $$, William and Mary $$, American
The Bad(Rejected):Georgetown,UPenn,Harvard 
The Ugly(Waitlisted):Vandy, UTexas, Washington U

vaplaugh

Re: Boston DA vs. Federal District Court Judge
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 01:25:38 PM »
I'm confused... did you already accept the DA job?

Can you interview with the U.S. district judge before the expiration of the DA's offer?

Have these employers already expressed an opinion on letting you split the summer?

I'd usually say go with the judge, but if you have a strong desire to work for the Boston DA after graduating, that might be the better play for you.

CowboyLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 01:29:15 PM »
I already accepted the DA's position. I would not of had a chance to interview with the Judge before the expiration of the DA's offer. So I guess I'm just looking for whether or not I made a good choice. The DA's office also said that they do not allow the summer to be split. I have an interest in working for a large law firm after graduation.
Spaghetti Westerns (Pending): Cornell, Duke,
The Man with No Name (Attending):
The Good(Accepted): BC $$, George Washington $,Notre Dame $,BU, Washington and Lee $$, William and Mary $$, American
The Bad(Rejected):Georgetown,UPenn,Harvard 
The Ugly(Waitlisted):Vandy, UTexas, Washington U

vaplaugh

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 01:45:06 PM »
I already accepted the DA's position. I would not of had a chance to interview with the Judge before the expiration of the DA's offer. So I guess I'm just looking for whether or not I made a good choice. The DA's office also said that they do not allow the summer to be split. I have an interest in working for a large law firm after graduation.

Well, nothing you can do about it now, so no worries.  But probably the judge if you want to work at a large firm.  Probably won't matter much if you school / class rank are high.  My impression has been that where you work your first summer matters a whole lot less than your school / class rank.