Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Qs: reception, and..  (Read 935 times)

woooon

• View Profile
Qs: reception, and..
« on: February 20, 2008, 05:06:35 PM »
I am going to attend a diversity reception next week..honestly I've never attended this sort of event. What do you talk about? Any not-to-dos? Please share your wisdom :)

Another question. I really want to do judicial internship during the summer but I got this terrible, terrible grade. My school is one of top 20 and second-best in the region. Do you think I have a fair chance in state courts? I have been sending numerous applications and the first half of them were sent 3 weeks ago, but I got only one transcript request. I didn't even send my transcript yet. Just the cover letter and resume. I feel bad. ..should I start looking at small firms?

Thanks!

Peaches

• View Profile
Re: Qs: reception, and..
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 05:49:39 PM »
I don't know about diversity receptions because I'm not diverse.  But the typical benefits of going to receptions are these:
1) Get your name on the list as having attended for when you apply for next summer.
2) Get business cards, so when you can build your contacts and when you apply next summer you can say "I enjoyed my conversation about this person about this."
3) Find out more about the firm and decide whether you like the attorneys you talk to.
4) Practice being professional.
5) Free food and booze.

Callback interviews are mainly for attorneys to see if they like you.  So practice having pleasant conversation that still leaves attorneys with a distinctive impression about you, your personality, and your interests.  A lot of the people who stand out at receptions do so for the wrong reasons, and a lot of the other people are polite yet "blah" so they're not memorable. 

Come with LOTS of questions about the firm, and have a few strategies to politely exit a conversation.  Have good judgment about when to exit.

It is sad to have to say this, but do not: drink too much, use your cellphone, walk away without politely excusing yourself, badmouth your classmates, monopolize attorneys who clearly want to speak to other students, call attorneys by their first names without being invited to do so, etc.  A lot of students have stunted professional etiquette. 

vaplaugh

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:01:33 PM »
It is sad to have to say this, but do not: drink too much, use your cellphone, walk away without politely excusing yourself, badmouth your classmates, monopolize attorneys who clearly want to speak to other students, call attorneys by their first names without being invited to do so, etc.  A lot of students have stunted professional etiquette. 

Re: the bolded... really?  Do you think this is necessary or just personal preference?  I find it awkward to call someone face-to-face Mr. or Mrs./Ms. so-and-so. 

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 12:37:58 AM »
Um, yes.  People who prefer to be called by their first name will interject "Oh, just call me Bob!" and people who don't will just let you keep calling them "Mr. Last Name."  Like I said, this is basic professional etiquette and probably lost on a lot of folks in law school right now.  It is impolite, especially as the less important person in the interaction, in professional situations to address someone by their first name without being invited to do so.