Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2 questions: LORs and background check  (Read 1885 times)

intel

• View Profile
2 questions: LORs and background check
« on: February 19, 2008, 07:13:21 PM »
Some judges have responded to my mass mailings saying that they need 2 letters of recommendation. Are these supposed to be from my law professors? Is one from my adjunct prof. a good idea considering that she knows me the best?

Also, what employers do background checks before hiring? If anyone has any insight on this but would rather PM me, please do so.

laurenlaw

• View Profile
Re: 2 questions: LORs and background check
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 08:20:38 PM »
Did you mean which jobs in general, or which judge-related jobs?

Jobs in general, obviously some government jobs but it depends on what area you're working in and what sort of material you'll be working with.  For example, I was offered a job with U.S. Attorneys' offices, and they require fingerprinting, drug test, financial history, 10 year job history, etc.  But working for the U.S. Senate committee doesn't require anything.  Anything where you're handling marketable, private information will require at least some sort of background information.  Did you have anything specific in mind?

intel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 01:23:36 AM »
i meant jobs in general, but if you know which type of judge usually does a check please do share. thanks!

MrB398

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:53:28 AM »
Some judges have responded to my mass mailings saying that they need 2 letters of recommendation. Are these supposed to be from my law professors? Is one from my adjunct prof. a good idea considering that she knows me the best?

Also, what employers do background checks before hiring? If anyone has any insight on this but would rather PM me, please do so.

I had to go through a very intense background check that took several months (manly due to high clearance requirement)

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 12:30:14 PM »
I worked for a trial level judge and had no background check.  I'm working for a big firm this summer; they want disclosure of any crimes but I didn't have to authorize a background check.  If you work for the DAs I'd expect a background check, if you're working for the AUSAs I'd expect a big one.

intel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 04:51:22 PM »
forgive my ignorance, what is AUSAs?

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 08:32:32 AM »
Assistant United States Attorney(s)

The attorneys who prosecute federal crimes in federal court, as opposed to the DAs (District Attorneys) who prosecute crimes on the state level.