Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Completely Discouraged With My Job Search  (Read 2988 times)

justaguy88

• View Profile
    • Email
Completely Discouraged With My Job Search
« on: February 18, 2008, 10:00:47 PM »
I'm a 2L at an upper tier 2 (avg school lsat in low to mid 160's) and I'm in the top 1/2, closer to tope 40%.  My job search has included a mass mailing (about 60 firms), replying to job postings (about 12 firms), bidding on 4 firms for spring OCI, and attending some networking events.  So far my search has produced ONE god damn interview.  Completely shut out at OCI.  I've cast a pretty wide net, too.  Don't really know what more I can do.  Is this normal?  I'm not a complete fuckup and my resume and cover letters have been approved by my career services office.  WTF??  I'm not expecting biglaw or anything but I didn't think it would be this hard to get a clerking job paying 15-20 bucks an hour.  *&^%....

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Completely Discouraged With My Job Search
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 10:09:17 PM »
First off, if you are at an upper tier 2, your school does not have an average LSAT of low to mid 160's. 

Second, what did you expect?  Everyone on here wants a rose garden.  If you aren't in a top school and aren't top of your class at a mediocre school, you will struggle to find work.

40 resumes isn't mass mailing either........  It's a tough market out there.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 10:17:58 PM »
Welcome to reality.  The job market for lawyers sucks, just like the rest of the economy right now.  Unfortunately, career services offices only add to the problem by misleading students about their job prospects. 

justaguy88

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 10:21:43 PM »
Ok dood it doesnt seem like you really read my post, and the points you did understand you dispute.  Why?  What do I have to gain from lying about my school's average LSAT?  I go to the University of San Diego.  Average LSAT 162.  Look the school's stats up for yourself.

I mass mailed to 60 not 40, so get the number right before you criticize.  Second, I don't need to be slapped on the wrist for whining that I don't have my dream job.  I said in my post that I'm not looking for biglaw, not even midlaw...I'm happy clerking for 15 bucks an hour at a small firm this summer....that's hardly a rose garden.

Anyone else have something to say that's perhaps a bit more helpful/constructive?

red

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 10:29:29 PM »
It may be a little early for small to medium sized firms.  While some may be posting jobs, they may not be responding right away.  These firms tend not to be able to anticipate their needs very far in advance.  After my first year, I clerked at a small firm (5 partners, 3 associates).  I think I sent my resume to them in March and interviewed in April.  I attend a low tier 2/ high tier 3 law school.

Also, have someone other than your career services office look at your resume and cover letter.  See if a professor or a fellow student would take a look. They may pick up on things that career services missed.  Sometimes, I think that the career services people paid more attention to the formatting than the content, so there may still be room for improvement.

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 10:56:24 PM »
Ok dood it doesnt seem like you really read my post, and the points you did understand you dispute.  Why?  What do I have to gain from lying about my school's average LSAT?  I go to the University of San Diego.  Average LSAT 162.  Look the school's stats up for yourself.

I mass mailed to 60 not 40, so get the number right before you criticize.  Second, I don't need to be slapped on the wrist for whining that I don't have my dream job.  I said in my post that I'm not looking for biglaw, not even midlaw...I'm happy clerking for 15 bucks an hour at a small firm this summer....that's hardly a rose garden.

Anyone else have something to say that's perhaps a bit more helpful/constructive?

Clerking at a small firm for $15 an hour?  Good luck with that.  I'm also at a high T2, top half of my class, etc...  I am working for free my 2L summer.  Sent out many resumes, OCI, etc, did not get one interview!  Unfortunately, this is the reality of the job market.

justaguy88

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 11:22:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Red.

Also, as coincidence has it, I just got an email for an great mid-sized LA firm requesting to set up an interview - so there still is hope.

justaguy88

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 11:23:48 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Red.

Also, as coincidence has it, I just got an email for an great mid-sized LA firm requesting to set up an interview - so there still is hope.

That sucks McLovin...but I feel ya.  I will start looking non-paying if something doesn't turn up soon.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 11:36:51 PM »
Also, have other people look at your resume and cover letters.  And get someone who will be brutally honest.

I also agree with the person above who said you haven't really "mass mailed".

blaze.1

• yellow snow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 11:57:27 PM »

LOL! I had to laugh at your comeback. Nice one. There are lots of non-constructive responses on this site which defeats the purpose of the forum.

Now, onto your question. Yes the number of mailing and rejections in your situation is normal. OCI is typically reserved for the top 15-20% of students who are recruited by biglaw firms. The reason biglaw can recruit so far in advance is because they have a structured hiring process and can better predict their business cycle. The smaller firms, however, cannot predict so far in advance so they have to wait until spring to make a decision. One thing the other poster said is right. The reality is that its a tough legal market, but he didn't add that there are still opportunities out there. Its on you to hustle for it. Here's a good tip. Grow a thick skin to rejection because its part of the job-search process and part of life. If you don't apply, you can't get the job.

Like you, I'm a 3L at an upper tier 2 and I can sympathize with your situation. During 2L, I got a few interviews but was rejected at over 80 firms throughout the year. Finally, at the end of the year, I got two offers in one week. One offer was through a firm partner I met before attending law school, and the other was with the NASD. Sound advice is that you should get in contact with every single legal connection you have. Perhaps your family members or friends are attorneys or know attorneys, etc. Bottom line is that now is not the time to be shy.

I just wanted to add that I'm on my way to a federal clerkship after graduation, and if I had chosen to sit around and believe all the negative "can't do" crap I read on this board, I wouldn't have a job. Good luck.
Attending: Temple