Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Property Help - Any suggestions  (Read 2691 times)

CAW061404

• View Profile
Property Help - Any suggestions
« on: February 18, 2008, 04:15:47 PM »
For class, I am using Property by Dukeminier. Specifically, I am looking for either a commercial study aid that provides answers to the problems in the book (our teacher doesn't go over everything and I like to self-check my work) or a god guide that offers a lot of problem with explanation...Im talking future interest type problems. Thanks!

KC#11

• View Profile
Re: Property Help - Any suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 04:22:04 PM »
Buy the Emmanuels keyed to that casebook...it's pretty good.

If that doesn't have everything you're looking for, post your questions here.
Potential is just a word for something you haven't done yet.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 04:24:51 PM »
You won't find the answer to those questions anywhere unfortunately.  Buy the Gilbert's commercial outline, which was written by Dukeminier. 

sir_scott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 07:04:11 PM »
Gilberts

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 07:21:59 PM »
There are some future-interests specific books. If that's the area you're having problems with, get one of those. (E.g., Estates in Land and Future Interests: A Step-by-Step Guide, Estates in Land and Future Interest: Problems and Answers; not sure which is best, check your law library or bookstore first and see if you can find what works best for you there.) If you need more general assistance, look at an outline or a briefbook, depending on whether or not you're having trouble putting it all together or you're having trouble w/the case law.

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 09:53:50 AM »
"Workbook on Estates and Future Interests" was helpful for me.

For problems in your book, you should work them out then go to your professor's office hours to check them.

bb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:35:56 PM »
Hello,

Can one of you fine LSD kids help me with the following transfers:

1. G to S for life, then to M's children and their heirs; M is alive with no children

2. G to A for life, then to B's children for life, but if B's children stop visiting their grandmother, to C and his heirs; B has one child

State the interests, and subject appropriate ones to Rule Against Perpetuities.  Why or why not does each one pass or fail RAP?

Thanks!

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 12:24:58 AM »
tag

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 07:32:40 AM »
I hated property at the beginning of the semester, but now it is my favorite class! My professor has explained to us that he REALLY hated law school, so he wants to make the topic as comprehensive as possible. That being said, these are two supps he recommended to us regarding Real Property (I am using the same casebook as the OP)

Lexis Publishing: A Student's Guide to Estates in Land and Future Interests (Laurence and Minzer), 2d ed. ISBN: 0-8205-2718-1 (This is an EXCELLENT workbook with practice probs you can work through; there are also great charts for quick and easy reference)

Introduction to the Law of Real Property, by Moynihan and Kurtz, 3d ed., ISBN: 0-314-26031-5 (This is a small book, green hardcover, treatise, very easy to understand)

Last but not least, my prof is editor of Powell on Real Property. We get excerpts from him, but you may be able to find the whole thing on Lexis?

If nothing else, get the workbook. It is wondderful!!!!
Vanderbilt 2010

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 07:40:44 AM »
Here's what I think, but take it with a grain of salt:

Can one of you fine LSD kids help me with the following transfers:

1. G to S for life, then to M's children and their heirs; M is alive with no children

S has present Life Est, M has nothing, M's children have a  future contingent remainder in Fee Simple, G has a vested reversion subject to complete defeasance. I would argue RaP would not be wiped out b/c we will know within the life of M if he has any children or not.

2. G to A for life, then to B's children for life, but if B's children stop visiting their grandmother, to C and his heirs; B has one child

A has present LE, B's children have future LE subject to exec. interest, C has shifting executory interest in FS. I'm pretty sure this executory interest is wiped out by RaP b/c B could potentially have more children, and grandma could outlive the other ascertained lives in being. Therefore, G would have a reversion in FS.

State the interests, and subject appropriate ones to Rule Against Perpetuities.  Why or why not does each one pass or fail RAP?

Vanderbilt 2010