Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class of 2011  (Read 5680 times)

jsw

• View Profile
Class of 2011
« on: February 18, 2008, 10:06:19 AM »
Anyone else already know that they will be joining the class of 2011 at UT Austin?

WilesThing

• View Profile
Re: Class of 2011
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:43:42 PM »
I'm 90% there.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 05:59:54 PM »
Just as a note while making your decision, UT is about to become more expensive.  I don't know how much cost factors into your opinion, but the Dean has proposed a $4K/year increase in tuition for year 2008-2009, and another $4K/year increase for 2009-2010.  The University system is adding on another $500-800 on top of that for each of those years.

It is all still proposals, and nothing is approved yet.  I'm passing this on as they just had a meeting with current students who will be affected by this, and they said they haven't mentioned it to possible incoming students at all yet (as it is still just a proposal).

The Dean is still shooting for the school to be less expensive than its peers, but more like being 75% the price of other schools than being 50% the price of other schools.

WilesThing

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 09:49:21 PM »
I thought I read they were hoping to ease the burden of the increase for some of the students in the form of more grants.  Either way, as you mentioned, the school is still a great bargain and remains at the top of my list.

jsw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 02:44:06 PM »
Thank you for the heads-up.  Cost is actually a huge reason why I had decided on UT Austin.  Do you know if such an increase would apply equally to resident and non-resident tuition?  I am an international student, thus, I would not be paying the resident tuition.

jsw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 12:48:02 AM »
The increase is horrible but I have been going over this in my head all day and I still think I am going to go to Austin.  I just can't picture my husband and I being happy in DC.  Does anyone who attend the school have any insights regarding life at the law school and in Austin more generally?  According to my research, it seems like a great place to live.

WilesThing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 09:55:57 AM »
Austin is a pretty cool place to live.  But second hand accounts can never do a place justice.  Are you scheduled for the ASW?  You should have ample time to check out the city then and maybe assail any fears you have about the tuition.  It still hasn't been approved and I bet everyone at the ASW will be asking them if there will be more grants passed out if the tuition hike becomes official.

jsw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 09:06:34 PM »
I will definitely be going out there for the end of March. I hope it doesn't go through but if it does, I am sure I will still end up there :)

SAEParm22203

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 10:52:36 AM »
Count me in also, although once I make the seat deposit I will be a little more definitive.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 11:16:48 PM »
I love the Austin area.  I've lived in the suburbs around here since April 1999 when I move here after undergrad.  It is the largest city I've lived in, so I prefer its smaller size compared to the other legal markets.  My wife is a native, so she loves it too.  If it lacks something you want, you can usually find it with a drive to San Antonio (1.5 hours), Dallas (3 hours), or Houston (3 hours).

Yes, the Dean is hoping to use some of the tuition increase for more scholarships and financial aid.  That's a whole other issue of who will get it (usually that means the really smart kids and the really poor ones).  But on average, I believe about 1/3rd of the tuition increase will be returned to somebody in the form of aid.