Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to read over the summer to prepare for IL??  (Read 2057 times)

nocomply

• View Profile
Re: What to read over the summer to prepare for IL??
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 01:02:51 PM »
read something fun, i.e. John Grisham

I read these random Torts and Contracts outline packets before I started in the Fall.  If it helped at all, the packets only gave me a rough overview of the "big picture," at least for Torts.  Contracts packet wasn't much help.

Anyway, my torts and contracts grades were very good this past semester, but not because of the packets. 

If you want to do something, maybe try to read up a little on what courses you'll be taking to try to get someone of a scope of the "big picture," before entering the classes. (i.e. go to wikipedia and read what a Tort is, or the fundamentals of a formation of a contract, etc).  Don't kill youself trying to learn anything...casually read up on it if you're interested, but don't go out and start buying law school prep books (only suckers buy those). 

Mostly all 1L's in first semester struggle with getting the "big picture" of certain courses in the first few weeks (especially contracts or civ pro) - if you go into school already w/ somewhat of an idea, then it sure wouldn't hurt.

Good luck w/ all that. 

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 01:04:33 PM »
Read "A Civil Action" by Jonathan Harr. Many Civ Pro classes use a supplementary book that goes along with the novel to help explain the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. Just read it for fun so you are familiar with the story. Even if you never touch the book in your Civ Pro class, it's still a good read. Otherwise, just taker easy and get used to  being around a lot of pricks that treat you like an idiot if you do something stupid - Just kidding, that only happens on discussion forums, law school students are actually much nicer when you remove their cloak of anonymity (myself included).  Or maybe they are their true selves when they are hiding behind their precious cloak? Who knows? Law school is all about dealing with problems that have no clear answer. Except in those instances where the answer is clear.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 02:02:02 PM »
Make a list of law firms and internships you would like to apply to for work in Summer 09. Update your resume and cover letter. Send them out after Dec. 1 when all of your classmates are stressing over school.

Skim through Getting to Maybe.

That's it. There's no massive conspiracy against pre-1Ls. There is really nothing you can do to prepare in advance for law school. Too much prep outside of the direction your professor is looking for will actually hurt you. Several of the bright people in my section fell prey to relying too heavily on supplements. They wrote brilliant essays, but not the brilliance the prof happened to be looking for. I'm not saying not to use supplements-- just know that too much searching for answers outside of class materials can lead you off track.

Hold off buying supplements until you've had a chance to experience an actual law class and experiment with your learning style for law school. Your law library will probably have lots of supplements on file for you to dabble with so you can see if you're a Lexis Understanding person, an E&E person, etc. Also remember that the publisher of a supplement for one course may not have the greatest supplement for another class.

Your law school experience and enjoyment depend greatly on your professor. So short of stalking your professors this summer, there's no way to prepare. You're not just going to be taking Torts. You'll be taking the Gospel of Torts according to [Insert name of your Prof here].

Good luck! Enjoy your summer. Try to get a summer job at a law firm, or work on developing your contacts or network for the legal profession. Volunteer. Travel.
Vanderbilt 2010

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 03:08:36 PM »
a civil action is somewhat useful for civ pro purposes. so is "the buffalo creek disaster." don't watch the movie "a civil action" - it gets civil procedure wrong, and it's a bad movie.

as far as study aids, look at the examples and explanations series and do the exercises.
case '09

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 03:39:23 PM »
I drank and got a tan to prep.  it was productive. 

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 03:46:10 PM »
I skimmed through Planet Law School and got all the supplements.  Didn't actually read them though until school started.  I think reading some sort of book about law school is pretty helpful to get you in the right frame of mind.  This reading can be done in a weekend though.  You don't need a summer to prepare.

Before law school starts I found that it was helpful to have a strategy on how you wanted to go about the semester.  Most of it though is just learning and revising your strategies to make them work as the semester goes along.    I did this and ended up #1 in my class.
Boalt Hall '10

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 08:57:45 PM »
Read Gideon's Trumpet.  Great book describing how the system works.  I read the E&E's for Torts and Civ Pro as well.  I understood the material better when firs introduced to it during class, but that doesn't really matter come exam time. 

MrBrett1117

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 09:09:30 PM »
Get at least a quasi-serious 9-5 job (if you haven't had one before.)  I found that the discipline and time limitations I worked under in my job (stock market/non-broker) helped me immensely as a 1L with time management. 

Obviously if you are still an undergrad this is to be ignored.

aman49

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 11:47:09 PM »
First off, use the search function for more detailed responses.

In general there are two camps: The 'don't prep for law school, it's useless and counterproductive' group and the 'prep using PLS/LEEWS/E&E, trust me you'll be glad you did' group. The people in the latter camp tend to get heavily flamed by the anti-prep bunch... but, they also tend to have personal success stories to back them up.

This is what tends to happen in threads of this kind:

OP: How should I prep for law school.
A: Don't prep. It's a waste of time. You'll have enough work when you get here.
B. That's bad advice. Read PLS, do the method. I did it and am top 10% at (insert school).
A: You are an idiot. You and Atticus Falcon need to get a room and have a private lovefest elsewhere.

The moral of the story is, as has been mentioned many times in your life "Do whatever works best for you." But don't do it because somebody told you to. I hear both excellent and terrible advice on this forum... and also a lot of contradictions.

blaze.1

• yellow snow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 12:09:28 AM »
I am a 0L and I have about 5 months of free time to spare before law school begins. I plan to use these time to study for the first year of law school, so I hope that current law students can give me some suggestions.  Thank you!

I'm a 3L and can honestly say that pre-law preparation did absolutely NOTHING for me. Like so many other naive students, I purchased Law School Confidential along with some other books, and read them all. The truth is that these books were completely useless once school started, and now I understand that the books are gimmicks aimed at anxious students who desparately want to get control of their situation. The best advice I can give is to chill out. Spend your time and money traveling and hanging out with friends because 1L is a beast. Best of luck.
Attending: Temple