Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to read over the summer to prepare for IL??  (Read 2035 times)

chen guanxi

• View Profile
    • Email
What to read over the summer to prepare for IL??
« on: February 18, 2008, 05:03:55 AM »
I am a 0L and I have about 5 months of free time to spare before law school begins. I plan to use these time to study for the first year of law school, so I hope that current law students can give me some suggestions.  Thank you!

Serenity Now

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What to read over the summer to prepare for IL??
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 06:15:18 AM »
Do anything you can to avoid law school material until law school starts. Whatever prep you would have attempted would have been minimally effective anyway.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 07:07:08 AM »
There are 80 billion threads on this; if you search, you'll probably find a ton of answers/advice/suggestions.

And FWIW, don't read or study anything before 1L.  If you want to read, read fiction or non-fiction that you're interested in personally, as you won't have time for pleasurable reading in a long time once law school starts.  If you must read something law related, try something about the Supreme Court, which can be interesting and not related to substantive coursework.  Prepping is not worth your time or effort - you'll be burned out enough as it is in 10 months if you start school in September.  There's no need to start early.

lah05

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 08:17:21 AM »
Read for fun.  Do not read to prepare for law school.
Attending:  Indiana University-Bloomington
Go Hoosiers!

Lascar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 09:22:55 AM »
Read "The Prosecutors" by Gary Delsohn.  The author is a Sacramento Bee reportor who spent a year inside the Sacramento DA's Office.  Very interesting even if you are not interested in prosecution. 

GA-fan

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:31:21 AM »
why do you overeager 0Ls continue to post this question? do you think we'll say something different from the last 100 threads? Use the search function.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 11:52:01 AM »
Watch the movie "Thank You for Smoking."

Then watch every movie you've ever wanted to see but haven't had the time. Then go outside in the sunlight and have a lot of fun. Then, maybe, learn to use the search functions of the internets.

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 12:10:48 PM »
If there is a book out there that explains how to search the internet, or more specifically how to search internet forums, read that one.

lawgirl442

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 12:36:36 PM »
Civ pro was the only class I "prepared for" over the summer before 1L.  I read the Examples and Explanations book on civ pro and worked through the problems.

Civ pro was my worst grade this semester.  Don't waste your summer.
UVA '10

meestameesta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 12:51:59 PM »
Read and outline Edward Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.  It would also be real helpful to buy the full size Black's Law Dictionary and learn all words in that which you may not know.  You do not have to, but if you are serious you will.  Or, you can just relax before school starts and enjoy the free time you have right now, seeing as you will be doing more than enough reading once school starts.
yeehaw Dallas